Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Identity of buttplates?

A friend of mine got a number of these buttplates. At first glance they have the look and fit of M1903s but as you can obviously see, they have no "trapdoors". Although a similar shape, they also don't fit over a M1903 or M1917 (the shape for a M1903 is similar, but the screw holes don't line up. Obviously not M1 or M14.

They have a charcoal-type finish, like you see on late WWII parts.

Any clues?

Last edited by Rick the Librarian; 12-07-2014 at 12:01.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

Trapdoor?
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe, while Congress is in session." Mark Twain

3. Default

Parris-Dunn ( or similar ) trainer????

Someone on another website suggested they might be made in S. America for very late M1 stocks. Doesn't seem likely. The buttplates (he has several) are virtually brand new.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

Rick, I said that there were buttplates "also" made for the M1 rifles without checkering and without a trapdoor that had the same appearance and color as your 1903 buttplates in your photos. Springfield Sporters Inc also listed the plain M1 buttplate in their parts list. You would have to check with them if there was a plain 1903 buttplate also listed. The plain M1 buttplate was from South America

They were obtained (about two dozen of them) with some M14 parts my friend got. Guess I'll keep looking.
    --C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Shapiro View Post
    Trapdoor?
    No, and not Krag, either.

Somebody else suggested that, too, but these training rifles were made during WWI and these buttplates look almost brand new.
    --C.S. Lewis

I had a bunch of those a year or two ago and sold them to a guy at a gunshow (maybe your buddy). They came in a box of 03 parts from ROTC or school drill rifles.