Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sir, Yes, I've heard similar from others.
    I am about to cobble together my first AR-15, and trust that similar antics won't be warranted, eh?!? <grin>
    Thanks for that reply.
    Tommy

It will determine if its' a 'scratch' or an actual 'break' in the metal.
    My apologies, I missed the post on the crack, I think it came through while I was formulating my reply. Regardless I did miss it.

I see both the suspected crack /scratch and the post and yes it should be checked out.

It does seem an odd place for a crack as my understanding is that they occurred in the thread area, no experience with that other than general work related and defer to others with that specific experience.
    Last edited by RC20; 12-05-2014 at 08:46.

M1Tommy: If you can get the date off (and MFG) the barrel we can cross reference the serial to build date to see if there indeed was a likely barrel replacement.

I don't know that end of the history well (barrel replacement), I have yet to see one that got even a different mfg barrel that was not a civilian change or WWII era, but again limited experience in that regard.

I have seen a number of the 1903s that was done on. You would think spare barrels made and it should show up on the 1917s - interesting area.

If barrel were too tight then it would have to do with the mfg process and not a torque spec. I.e. the barrels are lined up to a witness mark, you meet the mark. If more torque used to get there than there should have been then something in the barrel machining or the receivers would have been out of spec. Same end result to break loose of course and as they cranked out many thousands a day as long as they lined up it might have been expedient to continue.

somewhere in that though the inspectors should have caught on as tolerances would have been off and should be caught on master gauges.

I continue to ponder the spare barrel situation as the 1903s were supplied with spare parts for so many made (at least WWII) but I have yet to see similar for the 1917s in the barrel arena.
    Last edited by RC20; 12-05-2014 at 08:50.

Quote Originally Posted by RC20 View Post
    My apologies, I missed the post on the crack, I think it came through while I was formulating my reply. Regardless I did miss it.

I see both the suspected crack /scratch and the post and yes it should be checked out.

It does seem an odd place for a crack as my understanding is that they occurred in the thread area, no experience with that other than general work related and defer to others with that specific experience.
    Understood and agree. Thanks, Tommy

M1Tommy: If you can get the date off (and MFG) the barrel we can cross reference the serial to build date to see if there indeed was a likely barrel replacement. .............
    Understood. I'm not sure just when I may get to look at that rifle. It is about 120 miles from me, I just learned.
    RE M1917 replacement barrels, I agree. I've never come across a "new old stock" M1917 barrel myself.

Tommy

I have only seen one 1917 barrel for sale and I don't remember the specific details as that was two years back.

the bid went higher than I was willing, darn.

One method of determining if that's a crack, or just a scratch, is to rotate the rifle so that the suspected area is in the 12 o'clock position (straight up) and placed
    a cotton ball saturated with rubbing alcohol on top of it. The idea being to allow alcohol to seep into the affected area. A succession of several saturated cotton balls should assure that enough alcohol was present to seep into a crack, if in fact there's one actually there.
    After removing the last cotton ball, quickly wipe the receiver ring dry and invert the affected area 180 degrees so that it's pointed straight down. If it's merely a scratch, any alcohol in it will quickly dry. However, if alcohol keeps seeping out over an extended time, it's very likely a crack.

I think it was chuckindenver who thought the cracked 1917 actions due to rebarrelling were unlikely. as they were even softer/tougher/less brittle than any 1903 action was/is.. I'm hoping he weighs in on this........... I agree that the line/mark on the receiver of the OP looks suspicious........if it was mine, I'd be off to the machine shop if you can do it within the refusal period.
    be safe, enjoy life, journey well
    da gimp
    OFC, Mo. Chapter

I think you are right about Chucks take on it and he has done a slew of them

I have only seen one 1917 barrel for sale and I don't remember the specific details as that was two years back.

the bid went higher than I was willing, darn.
    I was able to purchase a Winchester barrel, dated 12-18, it very good condition, earlier this year. I was dogged in my search and looked regularly
    Needs a little clean up, but very good non the less
    " When you are out of Sixes, you are out of Interceptors"