Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question "E" on receiver ring?......

First, this isn't my rifle. And, the photo is not pretty, at all, IMO!
    I've offered to give it a once-over and "help him clean it up a bit".

Someone near me asked about this rifle. Apparently it was from an older family member.
    Anyways, what is the "E" on the receiver ring? If this is an M1917-101 level question, y'all please humor me and use little words!

It's the handguard retainer ring, Eddystone part.
    "duh" on me........... I know...

Tommy

As I tell ROTC units when I give an antique weapons presentation:

There's no such thing as a 'dumb' question.
    1) It means you're paying attention.
    2) I'm not boring you.
    3) It shows that you're interested and want more information.
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe, while Congress is in session." Mark Twain

More importantly, I cannot tell from the guy's photo if that's a scratch, a hair or a crack between the lines with U.S. and MODEL OF 1917.
    I'm no M1917 guru, my one having been foolishly horse traded away years ago, but I'd think that a crack induced by re-barreling would not come from that direction.

Apparently other family member have "told him that grandpa never would shoot it again...."

Thanks for that reply.
    Tommy
    Last edited by M1Tommy; 12-04-2014 at 08:55.

I see not directly answered. We all learn and I have had my share of mistakes. Better to ask first as you did.

Please be careful on cleanup as to to alter things. Stock should be done gently with soapy water and not finish work as you can alter that past the value (look at the tip and see what mfg mark is on it)

Short answer and history is that the Model of 1917 aka Eddystone or " Enfield was made by 3 mfgs.

Remington in Ilion NY, A Remington subsidiary and then independent operation called Eddystone in PY and Winchester (New Haven?)

The parts ultimately were interchangeable though many were so early and likely non critical ones were the easiest (most tolerance).

If you disassemble the gun and or look at details you can see on the surface (sights, bolt, safety etc) you likely will fine a wide variety of R, E as well as W marked parts as well as a few others. These tended to be re-arsenaled and parts got replaced with whatever was at hand as they no longer cared (all original parts 1917s are not common but out there)

The Bolt will have a stamp on it of R, W, or E, you may be able to see the same on the cocking piece.

Some only have numbers but those number can be traced to specific mfg (inspector numbers used exclusively at the plants)

My Winchester has an unmarked mfg front sight blade but does have the 400 number on it which makes it a Winchester factory part.

CS Ferris has a very good book at a low price on the gun if you want to read up on the markings and variations.

None of mine are all OEM parts, they all saw service of some sort and replacement parts added or reused and they all came out of common bins most likely as it did not matter.

On the other hand, there is no known cross of parts in the OEM mfg process, whether that was a government thing and they all had to be single accountable to the OEM that built the rifle or they simply did not exchange parts if anyone had excess is unknown to the best of my knowledge (or speculative). It did not happen as far as anyone ahs ever documented.
    Last edited by RC20; 12-04-2014 at 09:08.

take it to a machine shop that does dye penetrate or eddy current inspections and see if they would test it for you
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser, Socrates

Why?

Quote Originally Posted by RC20 View Post
    I see not directly answered. We all learn and I have had my share of mistakes. Better to ask first as you did.

Please be careful on cleanup as to to alter things. Stock should be done gently.................

......On the other hand, there is no known cross of parts in the OEM mfg process, whether that was a government thing and they all had to be single accountable to the OEM that built the rifle or they simply did not exchange parts if anyone had excess is unknown to the best of my knowledge (or speculative). It did not happen as far as anyone ahs ever documented.
    Understand. I have owned several older rifles before, have made my share of mistakes, and have cleaned and 'refreshed' some old stocks that now are 'much healthier' too.

Quote Originally Posted by DRAGONFLYDF View Post
    take it to a machine shop that does dye penetrate or eddy current inspections and see if they would test it for you
    If he allows me to look it over, I will at very least do a "gasoline test" on the receiver.... and will advise what you said if there is ANY doubt at all.

Thanks for the replies.
    Tommy

Why?

It will determine if its' a 'scratch' or an actual 'break' in the metal.
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe, while Congress is in session." Mark Twain

Default Check It??

I am not sure what the problem is here but 1917 Enfields were known for their inherinet over torqued barrel especially Eddystone and Winchester rifles ! I know because removing the barrel from many sporterized receiver's and it entailed a 6 foot extension bar and standing on the end of it to loosen the barrel ! Seems others had this problem also and usually they cut the barrel in a lathe to remove the barrel from the receiver about 1/16 from the receiver face. Not to be defeated by an M1917 Enfield I would put a barrel wrench on the receiver and rosin on the receiver and screw it together in a Brownell's barrel vice and receiver wrench After jumping up and down on the barrel wrench extension that was made from a car axel it would finally give after a few hops of my 230 Lb frame on the end os the 5 foot barrel wrench extension ! A loud crack and the barrel would be free but the Enfield 1917 was the worst offender of all US Military arms !the barrels were torqued on supposedly to 120 lb foot statistics more than double what they should have been- The builders at the Baldwin Locomotive works (Eddystone)were even worse and those barrels aree sometimes immovable except by lathe action !!
    Last edited by oldtirediron; 12-05-2014 at 12:17.