Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Default More Gary Cooper photos with rifle and Bobcat!

http://Found a book called Hemingway High On The Wild by Lloyd Arnold. In it is another photo of Gary Cooper with the same rifle again positively identified by features and the patterns in the wood grain again! The photo was taken in early 1948 by the author Lloyd Arnold when Gary Cooper was visiting Earnest Hemingway in Idaho. I did a quick google search and found another similar photo that was taken at the same time. This photo is owned by the library at Southern Utah University. I called a very nice lady by the name of Paula. She was nice enough to send me the full size file of the photo today. This is very interesting for me since it proves Gary used the rifle for hunting and it wasn't a safe queen. i also included some text from the book Hemingway High On The Wild describing how the author was asked by Gary Cooper to take the photos of him with the bobcat. [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Bhauer; 02-04-2015 at 11:25.

I thought Gary Cooper made his hunting exploits using a sporterized Eddystone M1917 unless he traded it in for a sporterized 1903 at the hunting grounds! This topic has been covered so many times!

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by tmark View Post
    I thought Gary Cooper made his hunting exploits using a sporterized Eddystone M1917 unless he traded it in for a sporterized 1903 at the hunting grounds! This topic has been covered so many times!
    Actually, I don't believe the one photo above has ever been posted. Thought some people might be interested in seeing Gary Cooper with a bobcat he took in Idaho.

I think that the reference made above by tmark was meant to be a tongue in cheek reference to the ongoing argument of whether Sgt. York (played by Gary Cooper) had used a 1903 Springfield or a 1917 Enfield in his battlefield exploit.
    I thank you for this Very Interesting thread Bhauer!
    Last edited by Fred; 12-25-2014 at 02:53.

Yes, great thread! Gary Cooper is my favorite actor from the silver screen days. A rifle to be proud of! I would have to shoot it, if only once!

Mike

Most definitely!

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
    Yes, great thread! Gary Cooper is my favorite actor from the silver screen days. A rifle to be proud of! I would have to shoot it, if only once!

Mike
    Thanks Guys. I have shot the rifle and plan to hunt deer and elk with it next year. Originally I took the scope off and had planned to hunt with just the Lyman sight. The scope and QD Griffin & Howe scope mount are all steel and add an extra pound to an already heavy rifle. It shot really well at 80 yards with open sights. But, I tried it with the scope back on and it was really good. So, that's how I plan to leave it and hunt with it next fall. Thanks for all the comments. I'm not on many forums but I am enjoying this one.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bhauer View Post
    Thanks Guys. I have shot the rifle and plan to hunt deer and elk with it next year. Originally I took the scope off and had planned to hunt with just the Lyman sight. The scope and QD Griffin & Howe scope mount are all steel and add an extra pound to an already heavy rifle. It shot really well at 80 yards with open sights. But, I tried it with the scope back on and it was really good. So, that's how I plan to leave it and hunt with it next fall. Thanks for all the comments. I'm not on many forums but I am enjoying this one.
    As you can tell from over 1,200 views, many like me have really enjoyed you posting the pictures and the research on this unique rifle. Thank you!
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

9. Default

I'm jealous. ..., swap you an unmolested 1901 krag and an m1a for it :-)
    Last edited by RickM; 12-25-2014 at 11:37.

I'll swap you a minty unmolested WW I era 1903 and a fistful of dollars!