Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

The Bolt and Magazine Box Assembly are also incorrect for a rifle of that vintage. How many sub-inspectors marks are stamped on the bottom of the stock just forward of the magazine box assembly?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick the Librarian View Post
    My thoughts exactly. It could be a stock from an earlier M1903A4, but again, the lack of a "notch" under the bolt handle is puzzling. If it was purchased from someone who had it for many years, the markings on the stock may not be fake and I had thought.

Lift up the cutoff lever (The ON-OFF lever) - do you see an "S" or a "K" stamp?
    There is no notch under the bolt handle and no markings in the area of the cut-off.

Quote Originally Posted by jgaynor View Post
    The Bolt and Magazine Box Assembly are also incorrect for a rifle of that vintage. How many sub-inspectors marks are stamped on the bottom of the stock just forward of the magazine box assembly?
    Not a one.

Apparently this rifle came out of a National Guard Armory in Ohio.

stamps of my original 1903a4 stock

a3's ive seen have cross cannons after fja, a4's its before.
    Last edited by Embalmer; 11-30-2014 at 01:16.

Can anyone comment on the authenticity of the stamps?

You have a rifle that's been overhauled, refinished, and re-assembled from mixed parts. The stock appears to be a modern reproduction that has been over-sanded and enhanced with fake stamps. The muzzle stamp is also fake.

The rifle should make an excellent shooter.

Hope this helps. Happy Holidays!

J.B.
    Last edited by John Beard; 11-30-2014 at 03:26.

Thanks John!

The square safety lug suggests the bolt is a contract (3rd party) Spare part.
    A4's will almost always have five sub inspectors stamps and A3's have four. Rarely a rifle will have more sub-inspectors marks (an A4 may have 7 or 8) suggesting the rifle was rejected and sent back down the line for correction and re-inspection.
    I concur with Rick's observations. The Stock, M1903A1 was not used on original factory production of the standard M1903A3. Specially modified versions (notched for the bolt handle) of the Stock, M1903A1 (with both scant and full pistol grips) were used on the M1903A4 snipers rifle. Some regular versions of the Stock, M1903A1 may have found their way on to M1903A3 rifles as replacements but then those would not have the factory sub-inspectors stamps, Ordnance Acceptance stamp or final Acceptance stamp.
    Finally a rifle with a September barrel should have a magazine box with a large bow, winter Trigger guard.
    Still and all it looks like a nice rifle and should be a good shooter.

Regards,
    Jim

I think the bolt is a CC (Commercial Controls) bolt. A WWII replacement.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

Yes, it is a CC.

10. Default

The M1903A3 in a full pistol grip stock is a phenomenal shooting iron. A3's in such stocks usually fetch a premium at Va gun shows. $800.00 is a typical asking price for a rebuilt one in that kind of wood, but I have never haggled on one as I already have an example.