Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

HoosierNative,
    I wouldn't be too worried about the gun, however I would recommend the use of shooting glasses when firing it. I have a 1906 Winchester .22 which is chambered for .22 short, longs and long rifle. It did spit back at me one time from the top of the breech.

Quote Originally Posted by ridgerunner View Post
    HoosierNative,
    I wouldn't be too worried about the gun, however I would recommend the use of shooting glasses when firing it. I have a 1906 Winchester .22 which is chambered for .22 short, longs and long rifle. It did spit back at me one time from the top of the breech.
    Out of battery maybe? There has to be a story there.....

3. Default

It would have to be either an ammo or headspace problem, as the Model 1906 is the same strong receiver as the Model 1890, just with a carrier designed to function with all three .22 cartridges.

I have two very old H&R top break pistols that are quite old. They lock up tight but I've always wondered about shooting LR ammo in them. The nickle plated one looks like new.

5. Default

That was around 40 years ago that it happened. I still remember it, and I believe I remember how and why. I will get it out today and look it over, and see if I agree about the design of it. I did not pump it with the trigger held back, and it was in battery. And I do not like getting powder gas in my face.

Joem, I used to have a good friend who had an old H&R. It was a good old pistol, but the timing was worn enough that it spit lead out the sides. Made it interesting if you were standing next to him while he was shooting, as another friend found out.

6. Default

Just returned from my 1906. It is as I remembered. There is a small slot in the breech block about the width of a .22 rim, and the thickness of the cardboard around a pair of Calvin Klein leather gloves. ( Sorry, my calipers and Mics are in my other shed. )
    Anyway, as the case head is not fully inclosed, ( and it is the same on many .22s ) if you encounter a weak casing, or the firing pin punctures the rim, you will be unhappy. It is a very cute little firearm, and very collectable, however for shooting 'almost' all of my .22s are better designed to handle escaping gas, should something happen. ( as the saying goes, what can happen, usually will. )