Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Modern .22 ammo in vintage rifles

I have recently found myself interested in early .22 rifles. I am confused about what ammo can be shot through certain rifles. I have recently acquired a Winchester 1890 "Long" made 1907, Winchester 62A LR, S or Long made 1948, and a Marlin 39 LR made early to mid 20's.

From what I have read, damage to the barrel can be caused by using modern high velocity and copper or plated ammo??? Softer steel of the period? I'm looking to be educated on what to safely use in each of these rifles as I plan to get them out occasionally to shoot. Thanks in advance! and yes I know that long is different than long rifle.

Your 62A and Marlin 39 are OK for modern ammo . . . .

If you ever acquire a Stevens "visible-loader" do NOT use any high speed ammo in it. Only "standard velocity" is advised!
    The breech locking mechanism in this rifle is EXTREMELY ANEMIC!
    So much so, I think SAMI would come down hard on this design if it were manufactured today! --Jim

3. Default

Thanks Jim. Can the copper plated be used or only the non jacketed ones. Also, any ideas on the 1890? Appreciate the info.

All .22 bullets are lead. Plating is no problem, none are jacketed. When in doubt use standard velocity ammo. All target ammo is standard velocity. .22 longs are available as well as .22 long cb's which would be fine in the long chambered guns. I use target grade in almost all of my Stevens single shots. The low end stuff is fine for plinking. I use some of the better stuff to see just how good a group I can get out the actual target guns.

Blog Entries

If you branch off into pistols, the early Colt Woodsmans were standard velocity only as denoted by checkering on the mainspring housing. If it's horizontal parallel lines, it can shoot anything.

Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

"...none are jacketed..." There are actual jacketed .22's, now. Hornady, I think. Still won't bother any rifle. Used No. 7 Lee-Enfields(forget their manufacture dates. 1940's maybe.) for years with standard velocity ammo. HV wouldn't bother 'em either.
    Spelling and grammar count!

Quote Originally Posted by Sunray View Post
    "...none are jacketed..." There are actual jacketed .22's, now. Hornady, I think. Still won't bother any rifle. Used No. 7 Lee-Enfields(forget their manufacture dates. 1940's maybe.) for years with standard velocity ammo. HV wouldn't bother 'em either.
    Large difference in the strength of the No.7 and a Stevens Visible Loader. My No.2 MK IV* will shoot anything (considering it started life as a .303 is should handle anything in .22.
    USMC 1969-1993 6333/8153/9999
    USMC Combat Pistol & Shotgun Instructor
    FBI Rangemaster

8. Default

can i shoot these cci long's through my winchester 1890 (1215 ftsec) http://www.cci-ammunition.com/produc...=1&loadNo=0029 or do i need to stick with the cci long cb's (710 ftsec) http://www.cci-ammunition.com/produc...=1&loadNo=0038 ?

Quote Originally Posted by HoosierNative View Post
    can i shoot these cci long's through my winchester 1890 (1215 ftsec) http://www.cci-ammunition.com/produc...=1&loadNo=0029 or do i need to stick with the cci long cb's (710 ftsec) http://www.cci-ammunition.com/produc...=1&loadNo=0038 ?
    Either one would be fine in the Winchester. The 1890 you have is for Long cartridges only. Shorts or Long Rifle ammo will not feed and function due to the specific length of the cartridge carrier/lifter.

HTH

Emri

10. Default

Thanks Emri. Just wanted to make sure those higher velocity Longs won't damage the barrel or receiver mechanism.