Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Differences between King cobra & Python

Can anyone tell me the difference between the colt king cobra and the colt python. I've ckecked the write up in wkipedia and it's still a bit unclear. They are both .357 mag but other than that, what makes them different? Simple explanation please.

By far. the Colt Python is the best revolver originating in a US factory & thus the world in the 20th century.......the only other revolvers that come even close to its superior action, timing and finish are the S&W registered .357 magnums, the S&W pre-27 .357 magnums & the early S&W mod 27 .357 magnums, even die hard S&W fanatics (I am one) agree to this...........I also own a Colt Python that I purchased from a retired LEO back in the 1980's & it is cherished by my lady too............

The King Cobra/Anacondas are at best a lesser grade revolver....... with much less hand fitting of the action & finish........... people trying to sell them often flog them as equals to the Python........ & it ain't so........I'd rate them as equals only to the Troopers.........a good revolver in it's own right. but it ain't a Python either.

If you can afford a Python or better yet several 5 or 6 of them......... in mint or near mint condition...... ah hell even NRA exc.......... buy em & through them into the safe & shoot one.......... their actions & triggers are like breaking glass........I carry a Colt agt snubby every day........with back up a S&W mod 36 to it...... but they are not pythons..... nor is their values.

take care lil bro............. & buy the Python...........
    be safe, enjoy life, journey well
    da gimp
    OFC, Mo. Chapter

I have a fully engraved plated king Cobra and I can't tell you how it shoots, if the trigger pull is good or if it's accurate. The cylinder hasn't been turned and I'll think I'll keep it that way. I'm also a S&W fan. I have a Mod 25 that's not had the cylinder turned either and a couple of others that are not to be fired. I do keep a eye out for a python. The Trouper was refinished and looks like new, it doesn't get fired either.

the earlier the better on the Python on paying the most $........... but condition is important too......... if you were closer.I'd let you shoot mine. clover leafs at 25 yds off hand are common.
    da gimp
    OFC, Mo. Chapter

Blog Entries

Coltfever is way better than wiki for Colt revolvers. http://www.coltfever.com/King_Cobra.html
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

I can remember when a gun shops in my area couldn't get rid of a Python as no one wanted one. Back then at least one police department used them as issued weapons but after two years traded them in on new S&W model 66 revolvers in .357 magnum. The big problem with the Python was it was all hand fitted by Colt in the custom shop. They had a rep of being delicate and breakage was not unknown with them. A real pretty gun and it could shoot well but it could not stand the test of hard use it seems. Today the Python seems to have become more of a high priced collector item then anything else. The King Cobra was a standard production model and no hand fitting with it. It will never have the value of the Python but I think it very well may be the more durable of the two.
    Last edited by Tuna; 11-25-2014 at 10:33.

7. Default

Python is a hundred year old design, King Cobra is only twenty years old. Python is fragile but wonderful. KC is tough and would benefit from handfitting. I have an "E" series Python and it stays in the safe. The Smiths get the workout.

Thanks Phillip. I'll try calling colt after the holidays.

Quote Originally Posted by barretcreek View Post
    Python is a hundred year old design, King Cobra is only twenty years old. Python is fragile but wonderful. KC is tough and would benefit from handfitting. I have an "E" series Python and it stays in the safe. The Smiths get the workout.
    +1.

The old Colts were extremely smooth, the Python was the smoothest of them all, the action makes them a dream to shoot. They, like Gimp says, are probably the gold standard of revolvers along with, as he said, the older Registered Magnums. The fact that the Smith's were more durable with actions that, while not up to Colt standards were smooth enough and generally cost less money, sometimes a lot less is why the Smith & Wessons slowly beat out the Colts in the professional market.

A Python is a true monument to a buygone age of steel and walnut hand fitted, hand polished firearms. At its time it was the finest available but the finest just got to be too expensive to manufacture.

Smith & Wesson still makes the Model 27 but the workmanship on the new versions is only a pale reflection of the quality of workmanship on a Model 27-2, much less a Registered Magnum or pre Model 27 postwar guns.
    Last edited by Art; 11-27-2014 at 07:17.

Smith & Wesson giving LEO's major price breaks on duty & off duty pistols helped a bunch too............ when everyone saw near 90% of police officers with S&W...... it helped drive civilian sales too..... Colt didn't care. they had the M16 contract with the military & for the most part Colt just didn't care about any other models selling..........
    da gimp
    OFC, Mo. Chapter