Default '96 Krag Sporter

Guy's I've posted this on two other forums already but I'm hoping to get more info.

I'm trying to find out exactly what I have here.

I picked up this jewel a while back but haven't done anything except fire it. I am considering removing the Rice peep sight and installing a vintage Lyman receiver sight. I know when removing the Rice sight I will have to replace the extractor rivet. I am also considering going back with an original '96 sight. I don't know if I really want to drill and tap the receiver.

This rifle has the prettiest grain of any military wood I have ever seen. Too bad it was sporterized with a pistol grip being added and some rather crude checkering. The fore-end tip, grip cap and butt plate are like nothing I've seen before. The workmanship is excellent except for the crude checkering. The front sight has a Lyman blade pinned in the Krag base.

Is this an original length barrel? I doubt it since it's 24". The bore is like new.

What era do you think this conversion was done? A friend said it looks like 1920s.

What do I have?

http://s140.photobucket.com/user/sig...porter%2099332
    Last edited by sigman2; 11-23-2014 at 03:43.
    In honor of my father Howard C. Ricks, Corporal, Co. E, 2nd Battalion, 20th Marine Engineers, 4th Marine Division. Feb. 1943 - Oct. 1945. Serial No. 813302. Roi-Namur, Feb. 1, 1944, Green Beach 1; Saipan, Jun. 5, 1944, Yellow Beach 1; Tinian, Jul. 23, 1944, White Beach 1; Iwo Jima, Feb. 19, 1945, Blue Beach 1.

Wow, never thought I'd get such n overwhelming response!
    In honor of my father Howard C. Ricks, Corporal, Co. E, 2nd Battalion, 20th Marine Engineers, 4th Marine Division. Feb. 1943 - Oct. 1945. Serial No. 813302. Roi-Namur, Feb. 1, 1944, Green Beach 1; Saipan, Jun. 5, 1944, Yellow Beach 1; Tinian, Jul. 23, 1944, White Beach 1; Iwo Jima, Feb. 19, 1945, Blue Beach 1.

Sorry you have been ignored here - but, you got excellent responses and a warm welcome at KCA. However, you haven't left much room for answers, as you seem to be pretty well aware of exactly what you have.

That is the nicest stock grain I have ever seen on a Krag. The barrel has been cut down from 30", since 24" was never standard - carbines were 22" and the 100 special Board of Ordnance & Fortifications trials rifles were 26".

Date of modification will likely never be known - could be as early as the '20s, or possibly as late as the '50s, at the height of the "sporterizing" craze - which, of course, has since fallen into deep disfavor.

Speaking for myself, no longer a hunter, and (all too) seldom a shooter - I pretty much ignore such guns when I pass them on a table at a gun show. That is chauvanistic of course, but, similar feelings by others may have contributed to noted lack of response.

In any event, a belated welcome, and I hope you enjoy your rifle!
    Last edited by Dick Hosmer; 12-01-2014 at 07:45.

Sig,

That is a nice piece of wood on that rifle. The sights you have on it would be fine for hunting, though you might want to mount a Pacific or Redfield so you can change out the "eyecups" for larger or smaller aperatures. If you go with an "issue" sight, the 1901 is pretty good and there are a lot of them out there. The from sight is kind of ugly if you ask me but I'm sure its functional. The 30-40 will burn up its powder just fine in a shorter barrel, no need to drag 24" through the brush.

good luck!

jn

Guys, thanks for your response. I have a Redfield 102-K sight on its way to me. I didn't like the Rice sight because there was a slight downward movement of the cocking piece as the sear disengaged. It was enough to notice it when firing the rifle.

I have everything I need to build a '92 sporter... just need to find someone with a barrel vise and action wrench. I have 1892 and 1902 sights I can use on it and just remembered a 1901 sight I have stashed away.

I wasn't trying to be condescending in any way. However, it seems like legitimate questions are often ignored when a question asking for the best zombie ammo will get pages of replies.
    I guess that's just a sign of the times.

The movement of the Rice is obvious, but it stops moving at the same place each time. I can shoot some pretty fair groups with the 96 sporter I have a Rice on. The front sight is a 1917 sight complete with its big ears. Looks like crap but gives me a very good, easy to center sight picture. In fact, I'm trying to figure out how to get another 1917 front sight on my Garand.

I bypassed your post several times because I just didn't know what to think of that wood. I was trying to figure out if the butt had been grafted onto what appears to be a standard forearm. If it's original, then perhaps it was wood used for some officer's rifle. I've seen a few of them with some fancy figure. They had to buy their Krags.
    Last edited by madsenshooter; 12-03-2014 at 11:00.
    "I have sworn upon the Altar of God, eternity hostility upon all forms of tyranny over the minds of man." - Thomas Jefferson