Default Re-barreling a Krag

I have decided to re-barrel a Krag after the first of the new year. I am wanting to shop around for a good used barrel for it, mine is rough to say the least. Having seen Jon's Winchester re-barrel I know that one can be used. Here's the rest of the questions, what other barrels can be fitted to the Krag? Remington, Savage, US GI 03, 03A3, Pattern 17 calibers 30-06, .308/7.62 Nato or a 300 mag? I'm pretty open but want to put a good take off/used barrel back to work if feasible. I plan to start looking around for a good used take off for this. TIA

BudT
    I DDUW BO'R DIOLCH

Have you considered a new Criterion Krag barrel? They can be ordered from the CMP, and the CMP can even install it with their gunsmith service. I would be careful with installing a barrel that fires a round that is much higher power than the Krag... you'll still be using the Krag Bolt with it.
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

I'm not changing the caliber from 30-40 Krag, I listed the other calibers because they are a .30 cal bore. I want to keep the work local if I can.
    I DDUW BO'R DIOLCH

I'm assuming we're talking a sporter, cause blanks from the barrel makers that will finish out at 30" are expensive. That would make the Criterion more attractive, if we were talking full length. There's enough meat in a Remington 700 .308 barrel that the chamber could be removed, and the square threads cut by someone who knows how. Finished diameter would be about the the same at the receiver as the standard barrel. Extractor groove would have to be cut, and the 30-40 chamber cut. I know the 700 barrels will work cause I got one in .243 that I'm going to make a 6mm/30-40AI out of someday. I did enough measuring that I'm fairly certain it'll work. Too bad I moved, long drive to the fellow I found that cuts square threads. About any take off barrel could be made to work by a good gunsmith. At one time I had a heavy Obermeyer barrel all done up for my previously mentioned wildcat project, but decided to make a 6x45 AR upper with it instead. You can find some good takeoff barrels on gunbroker, found my Obermeyer there for $10. Opt for insurance, I received an empty box that I paid $70 for and the seller wouldn't take responsibility for his poor packing. He left it free to go to and fro a couple inches and it punched its way out of the box. It's been a couple years, the barrel never did show up. 03 and 03A3 barrels will work, most 03A3 barrels are two groove. I don't think I'd care to mess with 1917 barrels as the originals are more .303 dimensions, but WWII era rebuilds have US dimensioned barrels made by High Standard and Johnson. I don't know how they'd finish out.
    "I have sworn upon the Altar of God, eternity hostility upon all forms of tyranny over the minds of man." - Thomas Jefferson

Yes, I'm talking a sporter. A 6.5 Krag would be interesting to but maybe that's getting "to far from the shore" so to speak. Lots of good take offs out there and I hate to see them just sitting around turning into reinforcing metal for a patch of concrete or some other horrible death. Thanks
    I DDUW BO'R DIOLCH

Bud,

The Krag is a small ring action, so a barrel off almost any bolt gun should work. It just takes a 'smith who is willing to cut down, thread and rechamber. I like Roy Bedeaux in Albuquerque. He is taking work for next year about this time. He doesn't advertise and you won't find him in the yello pages. He's that good.

jn

BudT: Back when labor and surplus parts were relatively cheap, Sedgley & Company used 1903 Springfield barrels to re-barrel Krags. The breech end of the barrel was altered and re-chambered for .30-40.
    My cheap and crude Sedgley Sporter bears a 1905 Springfield Armory barrel. This barrel with a mint bore started life as a .30-03. It may have been altered to .30-06, but ended up in .30-40.
    With the cost of labor and scarcity of quality gunsmiths, I think "psteinmayer" gave you great advice (unless you want a sporter, get a fine barrel for 'cheap' and can do the machine work yourself).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by butlersrangers; 11-24-2014 at 02:20.

8. Default

IMO the Criterion route is the way to go. Excellent barrels that thread right in. I bought a 30" one, cut it to 24" sporter length, spun it in- done. Didn't even have to mess with the chamber. Accurate as all get-out. Biggest hassle was finding and installing a correct banded front sight ramp, and a barrel band to anchor it in the stock.

That Sedgley is nice!

jn

Thanks Jon.
    I call the Sedgely my 'Poor Boy'. When Sedgely & Co. cobbled it together, everything but the sights was salvaged parts. Sedgely turned out some quality 'Sporters', but, this one was their bargain line.
    I have a soft spot in my heart for old Krag 'Deer Rifles'. This one is useful, accurate, and handy for its intended purpose. It has a rare and peculiar Marble's receiver sight.
    Attached Images Attached Images