1. Default Magazine Issued with Carbine Question

Good afternoon,

When carbines were issued to the troops, did they come with magazines made by the same manufacturer of the weapons? Or would it be just coincidence that a soldier/Marine had magazines sourced from the same company that made his M1?

The reason that I ask is that I own a nice Inland carbine that is mated with a Winchester magazine, which for some reason feels like a mismatch. However, I can't rectify the situation because I live in a state that now prohibits "high-capacity" magazines.

Anyway, thank you very much for your response in advance.

Deacon
    Last edited by Deacon; 11-22-2014 at 04:06.

2. Default

Carbines were issued without magazines. The magazines were in separate containers and manufacturer was luck of the draw. If you had a "correct" carbine with matching magazine I would suspect the entire rifle had been "corrected".

The magazines were contracted by the manufacturers of the carbines. They were packaged 100 in a large carton. Many times the magazines were what was ever in line as to make but sometimes say a Winchester carbine user was issued Winchester magazines and the same for all the other makers. There were many millions of magazines made and that is why new in the wrap USGI magazines can still be found. As to being issued. It all depended on when and where the carbine was issued. Sometimes magazines and ammo were issued at the same time as the carbine.

4. Default

When carbines were packaged for shipment at the point of manufacture they were packed ten to a shipping crate. Ten slings, ten oilers and magazines were also inside the crate. The number of magazines ranged between ten to twenty as changes to the method of packing changed.

Spare parts which were required as part of each shipment were packaged separately.

Brian, I know of one vet who was issued his carbine in France when he landed. Pulled out of a crate. The magazines were taken from a large box of just magazines in it. He was given three magazines, a pouch and one box of PC head stamped ammo. The carbine was a four digit Winchester which he brought back with him unfired alone with the three IA marked magazines, pouch and the whole box of ammo. He was an orderly in a big hospital in Paris and never needed the carbine as it stayed in his locker. Was hidden under his cellar stairs till after he passed and his widow sold it.

"...which he brought back with him..." Stole it you mean. Be kind of surprised if a rear area hospital orderly was issued anything too.
    Nobody ever bothered with checking who made what when kit was issued. Just like nobody cared who made what part when stuff got repaired.
    Spelling and grammar count!

7. Default

Mid 1943 M1 Carbine packing instructions describing how slings, oilers and magazines are to be packed with the carbines.

I never said what you had stated was not correct. I am only saying there seems to have been other ways they were issued too.

Sunray, His wife told us that when they were told they were coming home they had one hour to pack all of their equipment and be on the truck taking them to the ship waiting at a port in the channel. He just grabbed all of his equipment and personal items from his locker and stuffed them in his bag and off he went. Didn't realize he still had the carbine. There was no one on the ship to turn it in to so when he got home and hid it under his stairs as he was afraid he would be found out if someone saw it.

I was issued a brand new M2 in 1968 by 5h SFG.
    At that particular time everybody coming into group got one.
    They were in a flat box dry wrapped in a thick envelope. There was a tube inside the barrel and 2 30 rnd mags in sealed wrapping.
    There was a sling wrapped up and no bayonet or mag pouch. We always used the ubiquitous claymore bags.
    Spares were around to be scrounged, always 30 rounders. I once scrounged a spam can of tracers on stripper clips.
    As a gun collector who had previously owned carbines, I never once cared or looked for a manufacture label.
    I had to carry the miserable thing a few months before getting a 16.

Michael......... a good bro got into khe sahn as a 2nd Lt with a mech inf unit right about the same time........ Skip had always trained with Garands & then M14's & M1 carbines in ROTC........ & when he got to Nam...... he picked up a fine M2 carbine and a couple bandoleers of 30 rounders..... he always said it was a lot more maneuverable either getting in or out of a track or a tank........... & he trusted them more...........one thing that he & my family always reminded me of........ tracers work both ways.......
    be safe, enjoy life, journey well
    da gimp
    OFC, Mo. Chapter