Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Rick your's has the same kind of wood. Did they use a fancy type of walnut or something on the NRA's? I can't imagine they put stocks like that on service rifles did they?

By the way really nice rifle Rick! It's hard to believe they are 103 years old.
    Last edited by cplnorton; 11-21-2014 at 12:25.

Probably John Beard would be the best one to answer that. As I recall, they took some extra time on these rifles. Whether it extended to picking out better wood, I don't know.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

Now these were taken when new off the line and sold to NRA members right? Or did they sit in armories for a while and then sold? I imagine since all seem to be in this range, they were probably taken directly from the line and then shipped. Am I correct?

I'm not as well versed on 1903's as I am other stuff. Especially these rare 1903's.

4. Default

Are those low number rifles? Ship them to me for your own safety.

5. Default

Awesome pieces, both.

PD

I'm Very jealous and am Coveting your rifle!
    I recall seeing an image of that oiler. Was this rifle listed on Gun broker or guns international?
    I've got to ask you, what did you have to pay for it???

I'm not sure if it was ever listed on any of the gun sites. I saw it on Facebook. I am a member of a group of militaria that people post WTS ads. Most of it posted is junk, but they posted this for sale on there. They only posted one or two pics and they weren't the best. I figured it nothing else it was worth what I paid, but I was very pleased when I picked it up at the FFL. It was 10x better looking in person than the pics. In fact, I finally found my Muzzle guage today. It guages a 0 at the Muzzle. I don't know if it was ever fired after it was proofed. It it was, it couldn't have been much. The bore is perfect.

I picked it up for $1500 shipped.

Highway Robbery... That's what it was. You made out like a bandit. Yessiree! My hats off to you!
    I'd have paid even more for it.

VERY NICE !!! Thanks for sharing. We never get tired of seeing early rifles.

Emri

Rick is right. The sales rifles had a higher grade of wood, fit, and finish. The rifles were also star-gauged and targeted.

J.B.

p.s.,

Very Nice rifle! Thanks for sharing!
    Last edited by John Beard; 11-22-2014 at 08:25.