Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

Thanks everyone. it is all original and matching. I was hampered by the system and only did a few pics to show the markings and condition. Here are couple more. The obliteration of the choke marking is to be expected on this gun. It looks like the pictures I've seen in the reference books.

I believe the stock is original, although the plate is cracked!

2. Default

That is a really nice gun. People do not realize how rare that is, there are not many more M31's marked US PROPERTY than there are Ithaca Trench guns. $2000+ gun.

I do not see any problem with the choke marking, in that range they are all riot guns.

However, I was told by the Remington historian years ago that prior to probably the 1950's they never made 20" barrels, the riot guns were made up from 26" barrels that were cut down. As always, YMMV.
    Last edited by scosgt; 11-20-2014 at 11:39.

one other thing........as it seems that you & scosgt answered my other questions fully......... is it at all possible to obtain a factory letter from Remington on these & other Rem. firearms, like we can with Winchester? I've never heard anyone speak of them............. Thank you for your quick response guys.
    be safe, enjoy life, journey well
    da gimp
    OFC, Mo. Chapter

4. Default

Can someone tell me what he is talking about re: the CYL marking? I can't see anything strange on my monitor

Looks like full is crossed out and cyl added.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by 1563621 View Post
    Looks like full is crossed out and cyl added.
    I can't see that on my monitor, but I can tell you what it means:

The receivers that were marked "UNITED STATES PROPERTY" were newly made for the US contract. We know that, because the Remington historian told me about 30 years ago that the markings are roll marked, and can not be done once the finish is applied. Thus, all the US guns, save the last 2000 or so, do not have marked receivers because they were receivers that were already built serial numbered and finished. They were taken from the warehouse and built up to the contract specification. There arefour series of US M31 shotguns: The first group were all long barrels, and were hand stamped on the left rear of the receiver with a bomb that looks kind of like a flower pot. I don't recall any stock markings, and I had one that was literally brand new.
    The second group, with later serials, generally in the 54000-56000 serial range and all riots, had unmarked receivers with nothing on the stock. I have one of those in my safe with PD markings, but the stock appears to be original and not refinished. The build date is I think March 1942, so yes it is military, there were no civilian guns made at that time by any military contractor. The next serial range, up around 58,000 are all riot guns, and have an unmarked receiver and a cartouche on the stock, but only crossed cannons, NO FJA.
    The last group, around 60,000 serial range as above, had the US PROPERTY marks and the crossed cannons.

So, to get back to the point, assuming the barrel matches the receiver, and the numbers are not altered, the answer is simple. They took a longer barrel out of stock and cut it to match. Since barrels were serial numbered back in those days, they were not blued until matched to a receiver, because they were fitted to the receiver and then numbered. So, in my opinion there is no funny stuff at work: shortly after that gun was built the M31 was taken out of production, and they used that production line for other guns. Since this was a build out situation, they took existing parts and fitted them to complete the contract.

I believe that gun to be "right as rain". And quite rare.

7. Default

And most of you probably know that the original parked M12 Trench Guns have some blued parts, such as the trigger, safety and slide bar. It is well documented that the same situation existed - those parts are common to all M12's and they had lots on hand, so they just used them.

Of course, I have seen mixmasters with blued barrels/adapters etc, and I do NOT consider those original. They were guns that were converted to sporting configuration and someone "restored" them from available parts.

8. Default

scosgt Thanks for the insight. As always, I'm impressed by your knowledge.