Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fix or Sell?

1. Default Fix or Sell?

I'm new to this forum but I need some advice and hope this group may be able to help.

I have an M1 Carbine that has been a shooter for a long time. I just had a Fulton Armory Technical Inspection which determined I need a new barrel, new slide, new springs, new extractor and some other things.

I am trying to determine whether to pay to fix it or sell it as-is. If I get the new barrel, etc, that will break the "authenticity" but at least I can shoot it. I have no room for a safe queen that I cannot shoot. Is it even worth enough in the current condition to make this a valid question?

Is there a market for "project" Carbines? If so, any idea what this might be worth?

I like the carbine (we all do, or we wouldn't be in this forum), but I could easily buy a NIB "modern" rifle for less than the cost of repairs.

The Carbine details:
    * WWII-era but not issued
    * Sat in Rock Island Arsenal getting upgrades (adj. rear sight/bayo lug/M2 stock)
    * Saginaw S'G' (SN 1844xxx) (Irwin Pedersen?)
    * Underwood barrel ("8-43" w/Ordanance mark)
    * Stock cartouche (P) and [RIA/EB]
    * "S A" inside stock

You help is appreciated. Thanks!

You didn't say how much it would cost to repair it. Will they return the used parts?

3. Default

Thanks for the quick reply. The price quoted was $770.00 (with a chrome-lined barrel. $50.00 less with a non-chromed barrel). And, yes, they will return the old parts. (FYI, the old [Underwood] barrel is unsafe. The gas piston cyl. is bulged and splitting. and the ejector claw is broken. I suspected this going-in). Fulton does good work, but I'm just not sure it's worth it to spend that for a shooter that may still develop problems with other 70-year-old parts. (Or, are these the parts under the most stress, so others like the receiver, bolt, etc., not prone to wearing-out?) Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by snich View Post
    ...(FYI, the old [Underwood] barrel is unsafe. The gas piston cyl. is bulged and splitting. and the ejector claw is broken.... Thanks!
    Strange set of failures. I have heard of bolt lugs breaking off, but not bulged gas cylinders. I would scratch my head and try to figure out what caused the failures and if it had also overstressed the rest of the rifle. Most of the post WWII reproduction carbines were not well made. I personally would only buy one for an example of the brand.

I'd put that money into a USGI carbine and get what you can for your gun.

6. Default

I'm sure you know a lot more about Carbines than I do, but I don't think this was a WWII reproduction. (Please see details at top.) The markings appear consistent with other USGI Carbines that were made during WWII and then "arsenalized" at Rock Island. They were disassembled/upgraded/reassembled over the next few years. It was purchased as Government surplus (CMP) around 1962 and shot a lot since then. That said, I respect, appreciate and share your concerns with the reliability of the rest of the weapon. Thank you.
    Last edited by snich; 11-18-2014 at 08:13.

Agree with Bug but I think I would search out a good gunsmith in my area, buy a new barrel and have the smith install it. He can also install a new extractor and any springs you want replaced. Even with a new slide the cost will be quite a bit less then Fultons prices.
    Your carbine serial number is in the original Irwin Pedersen serial number block that Saginaw took over. The date of the Underwood barrel sounds like it is the original to the receiver. A bulged gas cylinder sounds like someone may have cracked it messing around with the castle nut, may have tried to fix it and when fired the cylinder let go. You might find an original Underwood barrel with a date close to yours for sale on Ebay or Gunbroker in good shape to replace yours with. New barrels are about $150 to $200 dollar range and a good used one may be in the same price range. I do know smiths in my area charge between $85 and $100 for a barrel swap.

IMHO Tuna gave you very good advice.

Or for $70 you can get the barrel / reciever tools from the same Futon Armory , do it yourself , then recover most of your cost reselling them here .
    Chris

10. Default

Snich: You need to do more research. Check out the CMP (Civilian Marksmanship Program) and see if you can qualify to participate. They have a gunsmithing service; both Fulton and CMP sell Criterion barrels and the CMP sells for less. Check out Tim Shufflin (shuffsparkerizing.com). Shuff specializes in US military rifles but does not sell parts; you might start by contacting him for advice. My one experience with his work was extremely fast turnaround and beautiful work. Beware local gunsmiths who don't specialize in the carbine.