Dallas, TX metro.. formerly Phoenix metro, AZ

Default who HAS a 454 Casull or a 460 S&W?

Please comment only if you have one, had one, or fired one more then once.
    I don't want to hear about my buddies friend who said this and that.
    no rumors please.
    thanks

I have a S&W .460 mag. I shoot it once in a while. It takes me 3 to 5 rounds to get the feel of it again. The most I have shot at one time is 25 rounds. After that I seem to loose a bit of accuracy. It's important to have a good stance and be standing. The recoil is heavy but can be managed. It's also a good idea to reload as store bought ammo is high. What else would you like to know about it?

Dallas, TX metro.. formerly Phoenix metro, AZ

What else would you like to know about it?
    How long is the barrel on yours?
    did you have it magnaported?
    what is a good price on a used one?
    good price on a new one?
    Does it have a "shock absorbing" grip like the Taurus raging bull 454 has?

whats your favorite load. (I do reload ammo and have been doing it since 1980 with ZERO Kabooms).
    TIA
    Bob

I think it has a 8" and comes with 2 breaks, one for jacked and one for lead bullets. The grip does absord alot of the recoil. I have mine for several years so I can't even guess a price. I'll have to check my book to see what I'm loading. don't want to provide false info. You might want to check my posts on taurus somewhere below.
    Last edited by joem; 11-18-2014 at 04:36.

Cav...... if you can. go to the S&Wforum.com..... Lee Jarret owns & runs that one......... On the modern revolver board, a fella has posted his results of shooting the 12 or 13 (I think) different barrel length .460 S&W's he owns............ and I think he's shot over 1300 rounds.... he lists loads, groups, velocities etc........ with different custom grips on some.........from the shortest I believe is 2 1/2' or 3" to the longest ...... I believe is 11" or 12". Heck his round count might be 10 times that too.... Hope this helps you sir..........& remember, you can fire .45Long Colt & .454 Casull's in a .460 S&W..........but not the other way around.
    be safe, enjoy life, journey well
    da gimp
    OFC, Mo. Chapter

I tried some .45 Colt in it. Really poor accuracy but they were loaded for my Colt SAA which I baby some what.

For my .460 mag I load with H110. Large fire ball at muzzel but when other shooters are too close, touch a couple off and you'll get the room you need.

I have a Taurus "Raging Bull" .454 Magnum I bought new about 15 years ago when they first came out.
    I've shot over 1,000 rounds through it and found it to be very accurate and reliable. I developed my own
    hand-loads and my favorite recipe was 30 grains of 296 with a 300 grain Freedom Arms soft point. I carried
    it in a shoulder holster for hunting about about 6 years when I got tired toting a rifle. If you need more
    or specific info, send me a PM and I'll reply.

I don't shoot it much now since I've gotten "older" and arthritis affects my hands making it rather painful.
    Last edited by Mike Josephic; 11-24-2014 at 12:11.

you can run any .454's in the big S&W .460 revolver....... and the heaviest .454 loads while they are a step up from heavy loaded .45 Colts, but they are not near the stopping power of full house .460's... .You cannot fire S&W .460 ammo in a .454 Casull.........S&W is also recognized as being of far surperior quality to the Taurus pistols..............for that kind of money...... for the little difference in price between the S&W .460 & the Taurus .454 . I'd get the S&W X frame .460 every time...........
    be safe, enjoy life, journey well
    da gimp
    OFC, Mo. Chapter

I'm with you on that gimp.