Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

If the price asked is equal to the total value of all the pieces recieved, sold separately, you can at least break even by parting it out, even if it is a "put together" piece - or just enjoy it for what it is. If the price is that of a collector grade item, then you had better get the books, do the research, AND/or consult an expert. CC
    Colt, Glock and Remington factory trained LE Armorer
    LE Trained Firearms Instructor

There is a third rifle in 303 cal that also used the W&S scope, it was P-14 used by Canada at the start of WW2 until around 1943

There were, and no doubt sill more W&S 1903 rifles being put-together, besides the numbers, the W&S used a unique screw thread on the three bracket holes. A lot of restorations had the threads chased out to a more common US size thread on the receivers

I know the guy real well, I'm sure he would probably let me take pics and ask you guys about it before I commit to it. It's just something I know nothing about. Way out of my pay grade.

Thanks for all the advice you guys have given me!

4. Default

Most important thing: remove the stock and take a picture of the stock cutout. That is what most fakers appear to be unable to fake. Secondly, take a picture of the inside of the receiver where the screws are visible, if they are staked or not.
    Regarding the scope, remove it and check if the inside of the dovetail is with a "FOR RIFLE NO. XXX.XXX" engraving. If it is, it's one of the rarer, issued scopes and therefore also worth more.

My buddy bought a W/S scope at a garage sale complete with the wrench and case for $20. He called me over to ask me what it was for. I noticed the scope had no plate with ballistics on the top. I told him it was for a WW1 Ross rifle. He went back to the house where he got the scope. Guess what? Yes, another $200 and has both now. Like winning the lotto.
    "Luck" is a losers definition for "success" Ron Swanson

Wow... That's cool.

7. Default

Jesus Christ, are they matching with the scope case? If yes, tell your buddy I would buy both .

Make sure it's not only a US variant which is missing the plate on top! You can also identify the Canadian W&S scopes by the fact that they have their own serial number block, running from 1-500. Also the heigh adjustment only runs up to 2400, compared to the 3000 on the US variant.

PS: Did your buddy also ask if they had rails or a rifle to go with it?

8. Default

Sins of omission are much worse than sins of commission.