Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Question about 1903 with Warner & Swasey scope

I have heard of a 1903 with a Warner and Swasey scope for sale.

Talking to the seller. He said it was in the 700,xxx range I believe. He said it appears to be a correct 1903. He said it had a WWI cartouche on the stock and it had a AA stamped over top it.

I know nothing of the WWI snipers. He did say it came with a case for the scope as well.

What should I look for, when I look at it? Were they serialized to the rifles? Any tell tale signs for one pieced together and one that is real? I'm pretty sure he said it was an AA rebuild mark, so it would almost have to be pieced together?

Any help would be appreciated. I know nothing of these. What do I look for?

Steve

I've just got to wonder... if you know nothing about them, why then do you want to buy one? I guess what I'm asking is... How do you know you want one if you know nothing about them? All I know about them is that there are two types, a 1912 type and a 1908 type. I know nothing about either. I believe that the 1912 is an improved design but I don't know how.

I know little about M1903s or the scope mentioned. But, I think it would look cool in my U.S. military small arms collection.

I've never had one of these before, so it's sort of a new challenge. And something new to learn.

A lot would depend on the price. If it is a "you stole it" price, you wouldn't have to be that fussy. If it is a "get a second mortgage on the house" price, you need to research it.

As Fred said, there are two types. I also know that they were usually serialed to the rifle (i.e. the rifle's s/n was stamped on the scope). For starters, if you have M1903 references, like Brophy, Campbell and Canfield, start reading!
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

Blog Entries

The serial # of the rifle is stamped on the inside rail of the scope mount where it slides on the rifle.. it reads ( for rifle no. ###### ).. The scopes have a serial # of there own.

Quote Originally Posted by cplnorton View Post
    I've never had one of these before, so it's sort of a new challenge. And something new to learn.
    Yes! Learning is a never ending process, isn't it! You already know more about them than I ever have.

One of the best single sources IMO is the "Complete Book of US Sniping", Peter Senich Paladin.

Regards,
    Jim

stock was milled inside on the left side too. Two other weapons had the Warner & Swasey scope installed - can anyone name them ?

Benet Mercie Automatic Rifle and the Ross Rifle