Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default

You would have to putty/fill the cut for the A3 handguard ring.

PD

2. Default

So. back to the OP's question, who has a good C, type 8 stock, repro or otherwise?

3. Default

There are usually a few on Ebay. The true "prewar" type C stocks as used on the pre WW2 rifles, original, command a $250-500 price, maybe more with inspection markings. The Brownell's option looks OK. CMP webiste is currently wacky, but they have in the past offered a "C" stock that has gotten good reviews.

http://estore.thecmp.org/store/catal...4=&note5=&max=

PD

4. Default

I tried the CMP years ago but couldn't join because there weren't any gun clubs in my area. I got the link you posted, but couldn't order or get to the main page. I saw another web post about the program being killed off by executive order last spring. Truth or internet hysteria?

There are some on ebay now:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111184458318...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Does they look like a good investment, or keep looking?
    Last edited by maj75; 11-07-2014 at 08:58.

5. Default

CMP is doing fine.

That's too high (as of now that is)

6. Default

maj75 - Join the Garand Collectors Association for $25.00 and you can sign up immediately with CMP to purchase. You don't need a local club. Plus you get four copies of their very neat magazine. CC
    Last edited by Col. Colt; 11-07-2014 at 01:33.
    Colt, Glock and Remington factory trained LE Armorer
    LE Trained Firearms Instructor

As far as I am aware the only difference (other then prefered shape) between the A1 or the A3 is the inletting for the A3 handguard ring. On a A1 in said stock you will see a small distinctive gap at the stock line where the ring goes. The shape of the stock can be worked carefully to A1 config.
    "If you're gonna be dumb, you better be tough."

8. Default

Thanks!

Since I've been told my stock is a later C type anyway, I think I'll try sanding off the checked areas. I'll have to thin the fore end, and pistol grip but not much. I doubt it will be noticeable. I think it will improve the look of the rifle and the checking is not the greatest.

Another option; http://www.northridgeinc.com/store/index.cfm/c156/i416

I bought one a few years ago when they were much cheaper and they are American bowling and Billiards stocks. I picked up another one later they had on ebay priced buy now for $145. I think someone screwed up when they put that one on but hey...They are good solid stocks with minimal work needed, pretty much drop in. They are fat like a Keystone but you can thin them up nicely. I used a profiling tool and duplicated an SA C stock I have and it came out very nice. They are quite spendy now.

Just another option

Kurt
    As the late Turner Kirkland was fond of saying, "If you want good oats, you have to pay the price. If you'll take oats that have already been through the horse, those come cheaper."

Northridge is way too expensive for my application. Probably go with the Minelli.
    "If you're gonna be dumb, you better be tough."