Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default "C" Stock Question

About 20 yrs ago I restored a high-numbered RIA 1903 that returned from Turkey w/ a subway tunnel bore. Used a WWII rebuild barrel and had it all re-parked by Philadelphia Ordinance. Lastly, I used a Sarco repro C Stock because the original wood could not be saved. Since retirement I have been looking for projects. I never liked the fat contours of the repro stock and was going to re-shape/ slim it down to 1930's era dimensions. What stopped me cold in my tracks was realizing that the stock is inletted for an A4 bolt handle. Plan B is to sell this stock and get one without the inlet and re-shape that one to my liking.
    My question is this; Who makes the best (for now) C repro? Sarco has a new one on the web site that they say is the best one, years in the making. The images show no bolt notch but what about the grain. I can't really make out much in the photos. Boyds can be hit or miss but I had some good experiences re-workin Boyds pieces for my Garand and M1A (see attached image). I can do in-letting, shaping and mil-spec oil finish. Because of costs involved, I do not want to get an authentic C stock. The rifle is refinished w/ a replacement barrel so to me it's just a nice shooter. Any direction/ feedback is appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "If you're gonna be dumb, you better be tough."

Minelli.. makes about the nicest one iv worked on
    if it aint broke...fix it till it finally is.

Chuck beat me to it.

http://www.minelligroup.it/what/shoo...ry-stocks.aspx

Brownells has them listed in their newest catalog.

Will check them out.

Thanks

The reproduction from Sarco came cut for the A4 bolt? No chance it is original?

Mike

+3 on the Mineilli, and if you have an 03ffl Brownells gives a discount
    liberum aeternum

Quote Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
    The reproduction from Sarco came cut for the A4 bolt? No chance it is original?

Mike
    No, it can't be. Age is wrong, it's not American walnut and too much sapwood. No cartouches of any kind. I will sell it as a 03A4 repro.

If you want a real nice stock check out Mike Kokinda in PA. Mike has passed away but his company is still in business. I bought a stock from him a few years ago and it was exact.

Here is the number. Cindy Wilson 814-349-2403 Did excellent work.

10. Default

I have a Springfield Model 1903 MK 1 with the C Stock. Unfortunately a prior owner thought checkering would look good on the stock. Like the OP, I'm looking for a C stock for a 1903 NM.

I checked Brownells for the Minelli and it is listed as fitting the A3. From what I have read, the A3 stock is different from the A1 stock and the A1 is the same as the NM. I would love an original, or a way to "fix" my original. Can the A3 stock be reworked to A1 dimensions?

Any other links for a C stock for a NM 1903/A1?