1. Default Morry Luxenberg Hat

Picked this up the other day and can't find any info on the web nor can I find a date of manufacture.

I was wondering what you all could tell me about it. Also what's the value.

006..jpg002..jpg004..jpg001..jpg009..jpg
    Last edited by wkato; 11-03-2014 at 11:52. Reason: Pics

2. Default

Last edited by wkato; 11-03-2014 at 11:45.

3. Default

it is obviously an commanding officer's hat (Commander) due to the scrambled eggs on it, but it is a much dressier one than the standard service cap, so I would guess it is a "parade" or formal hat when they are in a formal formation, or event. Worn with the military "tux" type dress uniform. I don't think it's too awfully old though. Maybe cold war era? I am only guessing on any of that however.

4. Default

I've searched and search and have only found formal dress.

5. Default

Yep, that is what it is. It's U.S. Army formal service cap. The scrambled eggs on it signifies that it belonged to a commanding officer. As far as the maker, it is one of several that made uniforms for the military. The standard dress uniform service cap wasn't so ornate, so it is a "formal" dress uniform service cap. The badge is U.S. Army. But again, don't think it is very old. They still wear that hat with their formal uniform today. Those didn't change much I don't think, with the exception of subtle changes in the badges (insignia).

The Enlisted badge was slightly smaller and encircled. No scrambled eggs on the bill. The officers badge was like this one, but no scrambled eggs, but if you were in command of a unit, you had the scrambled eggs on the bill signifying that you were a commander.

(BTW, those are actually "oak leafs" on the bill, but commonly refered to as "scrambled eggs" because that is what they looked like.. lol)
    Last edited by Tudorp; 11-03-2014 at 12:09.

6. Default

for something to compare it to, here is a similar one by the same maker.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-ARMY-ARTI...-/151286551755

7. Default

Would have to agree.

Rather than a commanding officers hat, the scrambled eggs signifier a field grade officer, The owner may have been a headquarters pencil pusher and never commanded troops in his entire life.

The hat is from a 0-6 (Col.) and up field grade officer. Infantry branch because of the Light Blue Stripe in the middle. 0-4 (Maj) and 0-5 (Lt. Col.) would have silver scrambled eggs. this is from the mid 50's ish... this DOES NOT signify a commanding Officer... the command badge on the left pocket of uniform signifies command.

My hat had gold eggs when I was a major. The Airforce had silver on the bill (called "darts and farts" I believe). The embellishment just meant Field Grade Officer. Company grade (2nd Looie through Captain) had plain bills. Enlisted had plain bills and different , less ornate, hat brass.