Default 1866 Short Rifle (cut-down?)

I purchased this rifle a while back. It is a 1866 short rifle and is a good shooter. It was missing the hammer screw, rear sight and front band. The wrist had cracked at some point, but has been repaired. The is a rack number on the stock (20) and a brass marker (29) by the trigger guard. The front sigh looks original and the barrel does not look cut. As I bought it to shoot, I'm not worried about value, just origins. I think this one came from Bannerman Island at some point.

Any ideas?

Andy
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tkacook; 01-20-2015 at 06:48. Reason: picture was gone
    Never Give Up, Never Surrender!

Technically, I believe that is simply a cut 1866 as the middle band appears to be in the original location. Real "short rifles" were made the same length as the current M1868, and bands were properly spaced. A Model 1863 type I stock was utilized, so there that there would be no band-spring filler. Rod was set back from muzzle, just like the original full-length rifles. Hope it turns out to be a good shooter.

Dick,

Thanks for chiming in. I have shot it and it shoots well for the crude sights. Being that the front sight looks original, do you think maybe something made up by Bannerman's smiths?
    Attached Images Attached Images

See if this works:

TK

The top gun appears to be a standard .45-70 trapdoor, but whether rifle (32.6" barrel) or cadet (29.6"), I cannot tell from picture. If a rifle, the sight has been upgraded, as that is either an early stock or a cadet stock.

The middle gun is someone's idea of what a Model 1866 carbine might look like, if they had made one - which they didn't! :-)

The third piece is a Bannerman-style "cadet" rifle of the period, where some shortening was done (to many similar lengths) but the middle band was left as is. It is not a legitimate M1866 "short rifle". Those are all properly proportioned, and have the same 1-1/8" rod setback as the full-length rifles. They are also pretty scarce.

Thanks for the assessment. I was just seeing if picture posting was working. The middle is a fantasy piece made from bits. I purchased a 1866 barrel from a friend want wanted to be able to shoot it. Kind of in the officer's model style. The top rifle is an 1884 in a spliced together stock I did. I got the barrel, receiver and buffington sight from eBay for less than $100. I already had the other parts. Decent stocks are getting hard to find for reasonable prices. I think people are buying Al Frasca's stocks and selling them on eBay for markup. The 1884 is a wonderful shooter and I really enjoy taking it to the range. I have always figured the bottom was a Bannerman-style rifle. It has the 1866 early style breach block. I wish it has still original, but I didn't pay much for it.