Default Stamp on receiver

Hi all, I'm cleaning my 1917 Winchester and noticed a marking I wanted to understand.

It's on the bottom right side of the receiver, and it's "C.N.S." in a rounded box. Lettering is about .1" tall. Looked quickly through my United States Rifle Model of 1917 by C.S. Ferris and didn't find it. Couple of searches came up empty also.

My guess is it refers to the receiver's type of steel. Does anyone know what this may be?

Thanks,

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by Craig from kazoo View Post
    Hi all, I'm cleaning my 1917 Winchester and noticed a marking I wanted to understand.

It's on the bottom right side of the receiver, and it's "C.N.S." in a rounded box. Lettering is about .1" tall. Looked quickly through my United States Rifle Model of 1917 by C.S. Ferris and didn't find it. Couple of searches came up empty also.

My guess is it refers to the receiver's type of steel. Does anyone know what this may be?

Thanks,

Craig
    Carbon Nickel Steel? I believe that the P14-M1917 receiver steel called for something like a 5% nickel content.

Hey kcw, yeah I was guessing something like that too, be darned if I can find any reference to it though.

Thanks,

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by Craig from kazoo View Post
    Hey kcw, yeah I was guessing something like that too, be darned if I can find any reference to it though.

Thanks,

Craig
    Or rather is it .... CHROME Nickel Steel? (CNS).

I've just read that Winchester marked N.S. on their cocking piece for nickel steel. Although I have an Eddystone and don't see it on mine.

But while I was looking I noticed an "H" engraved on the bolt handle. Guess their will always be something on these old rifles that keeps you wondering lol.

I'll bet you're right on the chrome nickel steel kcw.

Thanks,

Craig

The winchester bolt in my Remington 1917 is marked NS