Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Book

I got mine yesterday and read some. I like the way it is laid out, as a series of essays. The writing is better than I expected and shows a pretty decent sense of humor. Now about the graphics ...

jn
    Last edited by jon_norstog; 12-03-2014 at 07:24.

2. Default

I'm not too sure I've ever had people complain about how I write, it's generally what I write.

Said it wouldn't be Mallory II.

That book was a learning experience in so many ways. Letting it sit for a year was a boo boo. Upgraded software in that gap and bad things happened to the formatting, fonts, etc.,

After that was straightened out it was a fist fight with the margins. I wanted to use a readable sized font. 300 pages was a hard limit (binding machines). The margins too were very specific. Those three combined and a series of fistfights ensued. You set the margins to what's recommended. Then they process it and send it back. There is an overlay showing what's in danger of being snipped. Given the measurements they provide aren't right that turned into trial and error. Each time I changed the margins the images danced around. One has "left" whereas it's now "right" or vice versa. That's the end result. Did bad things for the tables too. After I finally had it right, along with two black eyes and a fat lip, I was wary of another round. The book would have been improved but I'd have added a bloody nose. We called it a truce and went as is.

I think the additions 14 months later degraded it. Upon reflection I'd not have done that. Not greatly but in ways I'm not big on.

So parts are incomplete. Parts are missing. "Shoddy." Let's call them warts. Fluff adds texture and warts add character. I doubt there will be a second printing, and really doubt a second edition, but if I did print it again I'd not correct any of it. Not even the typos. It's not that I'm unaware of them, I read it with a highlighter and marked them up, it's that they don't matter to me. Others can disagree but then again they can write their own book their way.

So all in all I'm satisfied with it. It's bumpy in places. Incomplete in others. I could do better with another pass. That's overengineering though. While it would add it's unnecessary in my opinion and in this that is the opinion that mattered.

In fact in many ways I think it's a tour de force. Not in ways many would perceive but then again I'm probably not normal.

Some will like it. Some will hate it. Some will like to hate it and others hate to like it. That's not what I was after. Books are meant to be read. That one is readable.
    Last edited by 5MadFarmers; 12-03-2014 at 10:17.

I have to thank you for your disclaimer. My wife thought that was a hoot. I won't depend on it if I travel by plane.

4. Default

Nuclear powerplants. Don't depend on it for those either.

I read some more. Made my head hurt.

5MF,

You have got a very nice book there. I think with a minimal amount of work you could put out an edition that would be a slow, but regular seller and would bring you royalties every month of your life. And for your heirs.

jn

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by jon_norstog View Post
    5MF,

You have got a very nice book there. I think with a minimal amount of work you could put out an edition that would be a slow, but regular seller and would bring you royalties every month of your life. And for your heirs.

jn
    Thanks.

I don't think the money matters. It would never be enough to justify the work involved. That wasn't really a motivator for me. If it was money I was after I'd go back to programming as it's less work with much higher returns.

No, I think that one is done. I think I'm going to do another very similar one. Even more shoddy in so many ways. I'll print about the same number. "Pulp." Yup. A step up from Mad Magazine. While I do the P Series. That's not pulp. Patents is almost done. The others will follow quickly. The rendering will go fast also. Fast being relative.

Whole set

Volume 7 will be the big seller.

Volumes 1-5 will be slow sellers. Those are the ones I like. They're pretty far along. Far enough where I've started on Volume 8. 1-5 will probably be done by the end of 2015. I'm going to hold them for 7/8 though. They cross-feed.

I guess it does depend on what you're after. What am I after? I'm going to buy the printing equipment for the next group. That'll be fun. Fun is where it's at. It's a hobby.

I have a job. They pay me to show up so I do. Until I don't need that money any more and then I won't.

So I think 6, part 1 is done. 6, part 2 will be next summer. Quick. Dirty. Done. Then the good ones. The boring ones. The ones I like.

So thanks but I think that was a one and done. The thing is, in spite of the warts, I'm happy with it. I guess I do march to my own drummer. I don't use the armory system.....

I'm looking forward to my copy. Early Christmas for me, I hope.
    "A man with a tractor and a chain saw has no excuses, nor does he need any"
    Me. "Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" Emerson "Consistency is the darling of those that stack wood or cast bullets" Me.

I have serious issues with Farmer's Notes, Volume 6.

It requires thought. I have to think. It hurts, this having to think.

If I ever meet Mr. Farmer and we should have a conversation I hope he does not think me intelligent.

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Daiute; 01-30-2015 at 01:04.
    "A man with a tractor and a chain saw has no excuses, nor does he need any"
    Me. "Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" Emerson "Consistency is the darling of those that stack wood or cast bullets" Me.

Okay, I want one. But it will have to wait until I get paid again. .

5mad...
    sent a geneuwine U.S. POSTAL MONEY ORDER off today. Was sitting on it because of other incidents that prevented me from getting close to a Post Office.
    Look forward to a space on my shelve.

Now, anyone need a Brophy? Found an extra in a box of trade goods.