Thread: WWII Wings

1. Default WWII Wings

Been collecting for some time, but just started on these. I have a few random Army Air Corps pins, but now starting to collect Air Crew wings. My 1st is a WWII Arial Gunner Wings in Sterling. The other is a WWII Air Corps lapel pin also in sterling.

Last edited by Tudorp; 11-02-2014 at 02:37.

Pacific North west & Lake Havasu City, AZ.

That should be a fascinating endeavor. There are so many different types of wings with many different manufacturers. Keep us informed with pictures as your collection grows.

3. Default

They polish very nicely in a tumbler, natural look. They weren't designed to be worn or displayed w/dark patina on them and servicemen would polish them. My experience is they're worth more clean.

Pacific North west & Lake Havasu City, AZ.

I would disagree with that myself. Most collectors that I know want the 70 years of patina left intact. Like the pictures that you posted above, they are perfect the way they are. It would be like taking an old silver dollar and polishing it. You just destroyed any collectors value it had and turned it into scrap silver value.

WW11 may have been different but I was in AF in 1953. Our insignia was made of 'German Silver' and had a sort of dull finish with darkened areas in creases and similar areas. We were constantly told to "never" polish them. At that time many WW11 vets were reenlisting (we had one in basic). Things change, I know, but I would leave them as is. Not sure how it was in Army Air Corp.

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    WW11 may have been different but I was in AF in 1953. Our insignia was made of 'German Silver' and had a sort of dull finish with darkened areas in creases and similar areas. We were constantly told to "never" polish them. At that time many WW11 vets were reenlisting (we had one in basic). Things change, I know, but I would leave them as is. Not sure how it was in Army Air Corp.
    "German silver" is an alloy of copper, nickel, and zinc. The only thing "silver" about it is the shiny color.
    "They've took the fun out of running the race. You never see a campfire anywhere. There's never any time for visiting." - Joe Redington Sr., 1997