Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default what is the story behind federal ordinance el monte california

im just wondering about the importer federal ordinance and thier quality control or lack of. the reason being is that i have seen many garands and one inland m1 carbine with the fed ord engraving and wonder if they are any less valuble ,or reliable.

I wouldn't want one at all. There were several issues with Federal Ordnance carbines and some with their Garands too. With the carbines they were known to use salvaged carbine receivers and they welded them together. Same issue with the Garand receivers. They also had cast receivers made which did not last very long in use and the ones they had made for the 1903 were down right dangerous as they have blown up over the years. Fed Ord? Best to just keep on walking and leave them alone.

A friend had a fed ord garand and another friend had one to. One looked like a hump back casting and the other didn't fit the stock. One guy bought a USGI receiver and had a smith change out the parts for him.

4. Default thanks for the info

i really apreciate the responce thanks again

Their shoddy wares are one reason they are out of business. Was in their store in the late 1980's, it was interesting to see all the surplus they had for sale.
    USMC 1969-1993 6333/8153/9999
    USMC Combat Pistol & Shotgun Instructor
    FBI Rangemaster

They had about a zillion C96 Mausers from China.
    They refurbed a lot in 9mm and they look brand new.
    They also sold junkers cheap.

National Ordnance is another brand you'll run across from time to time. Same deal. Cast or re-weld receivers. Some are good for salvaging USGI innards.

Blog Entries

Didn't the owner of Fed or National commit suicide?
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

Yep...salvage the USGI parts and deep six the parts marked National Ord.

Know nothing of Fed. Ord. However, did own and shoot the hound out of a Nat. Ord. 1903-A3. Bought it in 1979. Shot it with anything and everything I could get my hands on, lots of various types of surplus ball, etc. from USGI to foreign. Early ignorance about proper cleaning for corrosive ammo left the bore less than perfect. In 1981 had it rebarrelled for the princely sum of $41 ($20 for a new GI barrel and $21 for the gunsmith fee) at Crescent Gun and Distributing in New Orleans, La. Result was one of the best shooting iron sighted rifles I ever owned. Ended up selling it when someone saw the groups and offered me more money than I could turn down.

Now many years later, I know much more about 03, 03-A3 rifles, corrosive ammunition shooting and cleaning, etc. Occasionally I see a Nat. Ord. 03-A3 at a gunshow. The prices are usually to high to merit purchase. However, if I were to find one at a good price w/ a nice barrel, I'd probably look at it real hard. Likely would set it up as a cast bullet gun for range use, etc. But given the typical gun show prices, it's better to look for a sporterized USGI rifle that can be refitted and used. JMHO. Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."