Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Default

Yep I'll be building the doors but probably get someone to forge the hinges. Pindles are already in.

Thanks for kind words-now it's time to get off the pot and finish the cellar. The rock is already over there I just need to get with it.

I took both deers this year and with exception of backstraps, I cut and canned everything. Distrust of electrical grid(experience), ease of use (I work all the time) and it's what I have done for years. Pretty simple, a matter of cutting the meat into 1" chunks, cold pack in wide mouth pint jars and process in the pressure canner for 75 mins at 10 pounds. All done in the jar, just crack open and use. New for '14 I took deer #2 (in the pics) and ground the entirety, browned in a dutch oven, hot packed in wide mouth quarts, topped with onion soup and processed for 90 minutes at 10 pounds.

I know this is not a hunting forum, I will apologize now, and put a string of pics. My deer are taken in a remote camp, I back pack all my supplies in for a week, then go there and live. The deer are 3.5 miles from the trail head, so I quarter on the spot and carry the meat out in two trips. I feel good that I can still do this at 55 and am grateful for the opportunity.

Some may disagree but I really wish more folks would post up their lives wit these post-war '03's. It's a big part of the story of these magnificent rifles and to see my homespun deliver the goods 85 years later is a beautiful moment indeed.

Gimp-Ulster Scot all the way-in the valley since 1732.

Last edited by PeteDavis; 11-22-2014 at 07:35.

2. Default

Last edited by PeteDavis; 11-22-2014 at 07:41.

3. Default

Last edited by PeteDavis; 11-22-2014 at 07:40.

Blog Entries

I've always enjoyed your work and hunting pics, Pete. I think the first I remember seeing was your armory.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

Thanks Pete. since the return of my cancer, pix such of these & tv shows are the closest I can get to hunting anymore. pretty knapping too. friend/lodge bro does them in flint, obsidian when he can get it & glass.........I enjoy watching him work.
    be safe, enjoy life, journey well
    da gimp
    OFC, Mo. Chapter