Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Civil War Carbine Question

I'm looking to pick up a Civil War carbine to both collect and shoot. What is the best choice from a shooting aspect? I have a Spencer with a centerfire breechblock and I'm working on reloads. I also have a Sharps converted to 50-70 that is very accurate and I already reload 50-70 for several rifles. From what I have read it really leaves a Smith, Burnside or a Maynard as the easily obtainable shootable carbines. What is your opinion and why? Thanks in advance for any help.
    Last edited by w10085; 10-26-2014 at 12:12.

2. Default

Most CW shooters like the Smith as it uses easily obtainable plastic cartridges. You might also find one of the Sharps carbines that were arsenal converted after 1865 to .50-70...

Shooter5 Guest

Don't get a Gallager!

4. Default

Thanks for the info. I had a typo. I have the Sharps and It is my favorite right now.

I shoot a Pietta/Smith and in a pinch I can load it with .520 round balls. I did need to add a taller front sight though, but it's a nice shooter, easy to load for, and easy to maintain.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

While not precisely CW, except for the split-breech models, you might consider an 1867 Remington Navy carbine. There seem to be quite a few around to choose from, it has a very strong action, and is in a caliber (.50-45) which can use shortened .50-70 brass. I have no personal experience with that exact model, but do have other, contemporary, rolling blocks made at Springfield.

I know a man with a Burnside that he was thinking of selling.
    Thats all I know for now, but will get you his contact info if you are interested?

Burnsides need a unique, brass case for loading. I think they (cases and carbines) are available, but I don't know the details. Taylor's Firearms is making reproductions of the 1865 Spencer in 44-40 and in 56-50 and you can buy either caliber from Ten-X and, maybe others, but it ain't cheap. If you want to make your own ammo, the Smith's might be the most commonly available for both cases and balls if you want to stay with percussion. I would hesitate to use your Sharps even though 50-70 ammunition is available, too, for fear of damage to an original piece since the Sharps can be a little more expensive than an original Burnside. Besides, the 50-70 is a post war cartridge. If you don't want to use a reproduction carbine, you might be able to find an original Joslyn (Model 1864 is a little more readily available) and it can use the same 56-50 TenX ammo as the Spencer - I think that's right, but you need to check. The Spencer used a couple different cartridges during the war years between the Model 1860 and Model 1865 and has always been confusing to me.
    Last edited by 70ish; 11-14-2014 at 09:26. Reason: Added a little more information

Funny I should just come across this thread . . .

I'm about to go out the door, to my local gun shop, to look at a Palmer carbine.

I believe there were only 1,001 made, so no wonder I've never seen one "in the flesh".

I'm more than a little curious!

I think they are all caliber .44 . . . correct?? --Jim

They were all in .50 cal, I'm pretty sure, and they weren't available for the army until after the Civil War ended.