The reproduction Smith Carbines are just plain "Fun, Fun, Fun" to shoot. They are also easy to reload as you can purchase nylon "cartridge cases" for a decent price from Lodgewood Manufacturing [you can Google their website.] The cases are good for a hundred or so reloads.

Reloading is simple for a Smith, simply drop a little piece of toilet paper in the case to close the flash hole at the bottom. Then dump the black powder in and push a lubed lead bullet in the case with your thumb and "Presto" you have a loaded round!

The "Rolls Royce" of all reproduction carbines are the Pedersoli replica of the New Model 1859 Sharps Carbine. Off the bench at 100 yards mine will place 5 bullets in one hole in the target. They are extremely accurate. Their sight is also superior to the Smith as you can tap the rear sight back and forth in its dovetail to adjust "Windage." For "Elevation" you have a flip up ladder.

The only problem is that making ammo is a hassle. I prefer to make my paper cartridges out of Ladies Hair Curling Papers as they are cheap, cut to the right size and burn up completely without being nitrated.

Most Pedersoli Sharps Carbines will "lock up" from powder fouling after about a dozen rounds are fired. I did an "O" Ring job where one grinds down the rear projection of the Lawrence Gas Check Plate so you can place a Neoprene "O" Ring behind the projection. That seals the Gas Plate Check and the rest of the breech block so well that you can fire 75 to 100 rounds before fouling becomes an issue.

Check out:

www.n-ssa.org/

The North-South Skirmish Association conducts both Individual and rapid fire,Team Matches using Civil War Carpines.