Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Photos of SN: 2,989,601

Here are a few photos of the my first M1 Garand acquisition. This is rifle was sold by CMP South to another individual in June of this year. I acquired it in late July. It has a February '43 barrel "In the white", the SN indicates it's a July '44 build. The bolt is a Revision 19, Heat Lot A8, and the Op Rod is a 65 Series. From my check of the head space with, Go, No-Go, and Field gauges, the barrel was finish reamed and headspace set with this bolt. I believe this rifle was rebarreled and headspaced to this bolt, and the Op Rod was installed at the same time. With the exception of these three parts, all other parts have the correct Drawing / Revision #s for a July '44 build.

The close ups of the Inspector's, Proof, and small Ordnance cartouche was done before I refinished the stock. The decision to refinish was made due to several long, relatively fresh unsightly scratches in the finish on the stock. After much research I choose to refinish using raw linseed oil (RLO), as the stock ages the red patina will reappear. The stock was not stained, the color is after application of RLO however I did use Vanderhave Formula XIX to color match the upper and forward hand guards.

The bayonet is a Union Fork and Hoe (UFH), I found it at a local Army Surplus store. It appears to have been NOS, as it was covered in cosmoline and the parkerizing is like new. It's not Greek Black, it's dark grey park. The M1923 Ammo belt is original WW-II, made by Harian Stitching Company (HSCO).

Very nice presentation. Nice stock and looks like orig. park too.
    Last edited by 1563621; 10-26-2014 at 04:31.

At the risk of heresy (actually, the risk is probably greater on the CMP board), I'll stick my neck out and speculate that CMP scrounged up and supplied tne bolt, barrel, and op rod. Details are fuzzy, but CMP did that on some Garands to get them out the door. The -19 bolt with a 65 op rod for an arsenal rebuild early '50's would add up, but not the '43 barrel. Keep your CMP certificate close at hand for authentication.

It would be interesting to discover how a '43 barrel, that appears to be NOS ended up on this M1. I've since acquired a more correct Drawing / Rev / Heat Lot bolt with acceptable headspace (Field gauge). Eventually I'll procure the curved -9 Op Rod. But the barrel will always prevent this rifle from being correct. I've been keeping my eye out for a '44 barrel with good TE and ME numbers, that's in the white. But that's going to take a while to find. I'm hoping to stumble across a NOS WW-II barrel which requires finish reaming to make this rifle correct. I know that's a stretch, but there probably is one out there, I just need to find it.

Nice rifle, you've done well. Yours isn't to far from mine. My S/N is 2999885. My barrel is dated 3-44. I often wonder if it is the original barrel.
    USMC 1969-1993 6333/8153/9999
    USMC Combat Pistol & Shotgun Instructor
    FBI Rangemaster

6. Default

Slightly O/T but in 2004 I received a H and R CMP Garand withan SA 9-43 barrel that was mint. I am sure they did it to get it out.

PD

About 5 years ago CMP sold appx 4,500 NOS SA M1 rifle barrels, short-chambered, to the public. Most were 1951 and 1952 dated, some 1955. However, customer reports appeared on the CMP board of a few 1944 barrels sprinkled among the deliveries. I don't recall 1943 being mentioned in those postings. The inventory CMP had ON HAND was described as replacement barrels.

Quote Originally Posted by bd1 View Post
    About 5 years ago CMP sold appx 4,500 NOS SA M1 rifle barrels, short-chambered, to the public. Most were 1951 and 1952 dated, some 1955. However, customer reports appeared on the CMP board of a few 1944 barrels sprinkled among the deliveries. I don't recall 1943 being mentioned in those postings. The inventory CMP had ON HAND was described as replacement barrels.
    I suppose it's possible this barrel came from that lot. Does anyone know if the CMP armorers keep records of the work they do on each rifle? Did the NOS barrels released by the CMP have chrome pads around the gas port? The barrel on my M1 is not chromed, the pads have the same parkerized finish as the rest of the barrel. As can be seen in the full length photof the receiver, the breech is in the white. Although it cannot be seen the chamber is white and the bore is perfect. No signs of a repark on this barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by bd1 View Post
    I discovered this to be fact. I was able to find a fellow on the CMP forum who bought 12 of these barrels. Of the 12 he bought, 4 of them were NIW/NOS short chambered 1944 barrels. After a few PMs back and forth we settled on a price and he graciously sold me my Unicorn. I now have a SA 4 - 44 , NIW / NOS short chambered barrel to install on my July '44 Garand. I have also acquired a very nice bolt with the correct Drawing # Heat Lot to head space to this barrel. A new to me curved - 9SA Op Rod arrived last Friday. I may buy the required tools to replace the barrel and do the finish ream and set head space myself.

This might shine some light on your quest for answers.

Back, way back, in USMC ITR, I have my original bucket list of issued gear. I was issued M-1 # 2,792,5XX. I recall it was in poor condition, the barrel probably shot out using blanks in training. If it was to have been salvaged in any way, and end up at the CMP, the barrel would have definitely had to been changed.

Could be a series of M-1's with close by number sequences went through the same way.

HTH.
    --------------------------------
    Certified Internet Warrior Status: Achieved.