Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What .45 ACP powder to look for ???

I want to load up some .45's and used to use Unique. It has been unavailable. Seems these days one must use what is available, not what one wants. So...........

What should I look for that is available these days for a mild load with 230gr. cast lead bullets ??

I have been out of the re-loading business for years and am totally unfamiliar with the current powders.

Thanks,

Emri

I like Bullseye or Titegroup, they both go BANG!

I've been using REX2. It's seems slower than Bullseye, perhaps a little faster than Unique. W 231 if you can find any.

What ever pistol powers you can find will work if you can find any. They are in short supply right now. Some rifle powders are starting to show up but pistol and shotgun powders are hard to find.

Been using Bullseye for eons. 4.5 grains with a cast 230 RN or FP is a nice target load.
    Spelling and grammar count!

Pacific North west & Lake Havasu City, AZ.

I like BullsEye too but if I can find Accurate #2, I scoop it up in a hurry. Like the others have said, just go with what you can find at this point.

I've been using HS-6, and I've also used Herco. Both will send the bullet down the tube efficiently enough!
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

I'd open my reloading manual to the 45 ACP section, go to the bullet I want to use, and make a list of those recommended powders...

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by mikld View Post
    I'd open my reloading manual to the 45 ACP section, go to the bullet I want to use, and make a list of those recommended powders...
    That's what I've been doing, only way to keep shooting. Back in my pin shooting days, 5.0gr W231 behind a 200gr lead SWC. Now, when I go to the store, I grab a reloading book off the shelf or take one of my own and stand in front of the shelf of powder and see what I can load with what they're selling.

I was lucky to pick up an 8lb jug of W231 from Powder Valley when it came back available after Obamas first election & still haven't had to open it yet, still have 2-3 lbs of last jug. 231 is a good all around powder for many calibers, I use it on 380, 9mm, 45acp, & 45 colt, shouldn't need any for pistol powder for a while.