Thread: My 1917 Rigs

Default My 1917 Rigs

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/herb...%20Colt%20rigs
    One was from an estate. I got the box of cartridges, bullet belt-pouch, lanyard and holster with the one pistol that was allegedly carried in the war. The other one was ordered in 1961 by my father in law. One is in original 1918 holster and the other in a 1942 Fink manufactured one for a re-issued revolver during WW2. I saw at a garage sale and "couldn't live without" it. Didn't even notice it wasn't cross draw until I got it home. I have heard the 1918 ones were cross draw so a soldier could shoot off hand with his right hand and hold his horse's reigns with his left.
    Last edited by thek98sniper; 10-22-2014 at 07:07.

Nice, nice, nice...nice guns and equipment. I was unaware until just now that the ammo came pre clipped like that in box.
    Regards, Jim

I was too! I've never seen it that way before or since.

Nope . Most people are right handed . From a horse , the saber was the main weapon . Draw sabor from left hip with right hand. Shooting from a horse is close range at best . Draw pistol with left hand from right hip . Guide horse with legs .
    Chris

I"ve been looking into WW1 cavalry since my reenacting group presents horse soldiers of various eras. Not to 'steal' a thread, but hope these pix are of interest.

Contempt of congress, 350 million co-defendents

Quote Originally Posted by thek98sniper View Post
    http://smg.photobucket.com/user/herb...%20Colt%20rigs
    One was from an estate. I got the box of cartridges, bullet belt-pouch, lanyard and holster with the one pistol that was allegedly carried in the war. The other one was ordered in 1961 by my father in law. One is in original 1918 holster and the other in a 1942 Fink manufactured one for a re-issued revolver during WW2. I saw at a garage sale and "couldn't live without" it. Didn't even notice it wasn't cross draw until I got it home. I have heard the 1918 ones were cross draw so a soldier could shoot off hand with his right hand and hold his horse's reigns with his left.
    The WWI holsters were from an earlier design for the Model 1909 revolver. Not too many horses uses in WWI except for draft animals. The Model 1912 holster was the first general issue to use butt to the rear, as the old Army resisted changing from the butt to the front holster design. The WWII revolver holsters reflected the change to butt to the rear.

7. Default

Here's a rig I got from the family of a WWI surgeon.

[URL=http://s29.photobucket.com/user/Blockislander/media/DSC_0031_zps20d9ca16.jpg.html][/URL

all are dern pretty weapons.......... thanks for all the great photos guys, the mounted soldiers too & your fine old hoss, neat rig on him.......... Thanks again johnny pep for the background info.
    be safe, enjoy life, journey well
    da gimp
    OFC, Mo. Chapter