Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

Any idea which troopship the 45th crossed the Atlantic on? My dad was Naval Armed Guard on a troopship. Someone has been translating German U-Boat war logs. In June 1943 the U-154 fired two torpedos at a "Mariposa"type ship in June 1943 but missed. It is likely the ship never knew they were fired at. The Mariposa was a WW2 troopship and was at sea en route to Casablanca in about June 1943. My dad did not get on the ship until 1944.
    Point is - if the troops in the picture were on the Mariposa in June 1943 they very likely almost ended up being sunk in the Atlantic - and not likely to survive - and never even knew it. The U-Boat Captain missed because he underestimated the ships speed by 1 knot. May not seem like much but at the distance he fired and the speed of the torpedo he missed the ship by about 100 yards.

Cool! Thanks for sharing that Jim!
    Last edited by Fred; 11-09-2014 at 09:57.

Shooter5 Guest

http://www.uboat.net

Quote Originally Posted by Jiminvirginia View Post
    Any idea which troopship the 45th crossed the Atlantic on? My dad was Naval Armed Guard on a troopship. Someone has been translating German U-Boat war logs. In June 1943 the U-154 fired two torpedos at a "Mariposa"type ship in June 1943 but missed. It is likely the ship never knew they were fired at. The Mariposa was a WW2 troopship and was at sea en route to Casablanca in about June 1943. My dad did not get on the ship until 1944.
    Point is - if the troops in the picture were on the Mariposa in June 1943 they very likely almost ended up being sunk in the Atlantic - and not likely to survive - and never even knew it. The U-Boat Captain missed because he underestimated the ships speed by 1 knot. May not seem like much but at the distance he fired and the speed of the torpedo he missed the ship by about 100 yards.