Default Rear sight without notch at top

Reading the vishooter site , I am told that the sights without a notch at the top were made by Oneida.
    Were they made by other companies?
    Were any sights without the notch at the top made before WW2?
    I have a few of the leaves with slides which I bought years ago and which have a high polish on the face of them. It would seem that that would be the kind of thing a silversmith company might do, but was that what the Army wanted? (That is, would shiny parts on an otherwise dull finish rifle be a good idea?)
    If a strictly WW2 item, starting when were these sights installed by the arsenals? I have assumed they were only added during WW2 as a refurb item, but I don't know. Were they used in refurbishment before WW2?
    My Brophy book is a long ways from here, so I cannot consult it.
    Thanks for any input.

As I recall, rear sight leafs without the "notch" at the top were first produced in 1919-1920 by Springfield Armory. The earlier ones continued to be used as rebuilds (spare parts).
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

Sights without notches in the top were made by a number of different manufacturers including Oneida Ltd., Perry Point, Sedgley, Springfield Armory, and Rock Island Arsenal.

Hope this helps.

J.B.

Thank you for your responses. I take it that a sight without a notch could be found on rifles starting in the early twenties to the end of '03 usage, and thus it is not date sensitive within that period.

You are correct. The sighting notch was eliminated during WWI when, allegedly, it was determined that nobody used it.

J.B.

6. Default

Part of my fund of "general knowledge, origin unknown" was that the sight ladders without the volley notch (that top notch thingy) were introduced in late 1917-early 1918, and could be expected to be found on late WW1 produced rifles. Yet Rick states that they were introduced in 1919. Is one of us more correct than the other?

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyo55 View Post
    Part of my fund of "general knowledge, origin unknown" was that the sight ladders without the volley notch (that top notch thingy) were introduced in late 1917-early 1918, and could be expected to be found on late WW1 produced rifles. Yet Rick states that they were introduced in 1919. Is one of us more correct than the other?
    Yes.

J.B.
    Last edited by John Beard; 10-26-2014 at 12:33.

The sight notch did indeed Dissapear in early 1919. I've noticed that unaltered rifles (Mark I's) produced with 1-19 barrels still had the top sight notch. I haven't been able to study any unaltered rifles with 2-19 barrels, so I can't narrow that feature down any closer than that. I've noticed that those same unaltered rifles with 1-19 barrels also had High Hump hand guards too. For whatever its worth, I personally believe that the high hump hand guards and top sight (volley) notches ended around or shortly after January or Febuary of 1919.
    Last edited by Fred; 10-27-2014 at 12:54.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    The sight notch did indeed start appearing in early 1919. I've noticed that unaltered rifles (Mark I's) produced with 1-19 barrels still had the top sight notch. I haven't been able to study any unaltered rifles with 2-19 barrels, so I can't narrow that feature down any closer than that. I've noticed that those same unaltered rifles with 1-19 barrels also had High Hump hand guards too. For whatever its worth, I personally believe that the high hump hand guards and top sight (volley) notches ended around or shortly after January or Febuary of 1919.
    Mine, which I believe to be original, has a barrel date of 3-19, a top sight notch, and does not have a high hump hand guard. I believe, from the condition of the rifle, that both the rear sight and the hand guard are original to the rifle.
    Last edited by 11mm; 10-27-2014 at 11:47.

I wasn't sure about the "disappearance" of the notch, but personal observation led me to estimate the 1919-1920 period. It could have well been slightly earlier.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis