Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Modern scope for A4

I have a very nice A4 with a vintage, although civilian version, of the Weaver 2.5 power, post reticle scope. I would like to install 1" rings and try a modern production model, fixed 4 power, crosshair model scope. What current production scopes would clear my barrel and bolt handle with standard low-mount, 1" rings?

Thanks
    daveboy

I doubt you will clear the handguard and bolt handle with low rings.

FWIW I have used a Leupold VariX III in 1.5X to 5X on my A4. The objective lens is basically the same size as the main tube (1"). Fit fine and sort of resembled a Lyman Alaskan.

4. Default

Dave:

I've been through this, your best bets to retain that vintage look in 1" are Weaver K2.5 and Weaver K3 scopes. The Leupold VXIII in 1.5x5 will also work, and will get you to 4x, too, with a little bit more modern look. In 7/8", the Lyman Alaskan is the obvious choice.

I don't think any modern scope with the end bell larger than the tube will work, and they can't be used with single split rings. If your objective lens gets too large, then you have problems with the safety. Of course, you could use progressively taller rings until everything would fit, but then you would loose that A4 "look".

HTH

That is exactly the info I was looking for. I knew someone had to make something that would work with those standard rings.

Thanks

weaver Marksman 3x9 works well,
    however i have a Weaver K10 target on mine with high rings, works pretty awesome.
    if it aint broke...fix it till it finally is.

7. Default

I have a 4X Weaver J4 that would work. 7/8" tube and the objective and ocular are 1". Has a simple crosshair and you could use your present mount and rings. I think I paid $25 for it.

I managed to get a Burris 6-24X 50mm onto my A4 for a bit, but it needed to be mounted so high that it was unusable with any military stock. Perhaps with a lace on cheek piece, but I sincerely doubt it.
    Jim in Salt Lake, I did mount a J4 up "for grins and giggles", and it'll go on fine in place of a 330, but isn't 'legal' for competition, and is about useless for any other pursuit you might use a 30-06 for.
    I have had a Weaver K2.5 (1" tube) on mine for a couple of years, and it's a decent setup. A K4 makes a really useful combination, but clearance at the handguard can be close.

9. Default

Yep, the J4 isn't legal for Vintage Sniper. The rifle I used for my Vintage Sniper came with a side mounted Weaver 330. I built the 1941A1 version in the CMP rules using a Malcomb USMC replica. I wanted to go elk hunting with this rifle and I put the J4 in the side mount and used that instead. The only non-issue scopes allowed by the rules are the Lyman Alaskan and the Weaver K2.5.

A 4 power Unertl Hawk will work using Redfield 1" horizontal split rings.