Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default SRS Check Request 1896 Krag Carbine R. Rider? 32809

I wondering if someone would be kind enough run this serial number for me. I picked up one today at a local gun shop with this serial number and appear to be all the correct parts, and marks. I would be interesting since it is in the middle of the "Rough Rider" range if it makes a hit. Thanks in advance. The number is 32809

I'll look this evening.

Almost forgot. 32827 is the closest listing that I found - 10th Cav, FWIW (which isn't much - only hits count).

"Close" can get your attention!
    Last edited by butlersrangers; 05-23-2015 at 01:24. Reason: picture was changed and no longer correct

10th Cavalry or "Buffalo Soldiers" I have read. They have quite a story in Cuba. I see the govt. decided to admit African Americans into the service during the Span Am War and justified the doing do by saying "persons not susceptible to tropical diseases".
    From the published History of the 10th Cavalry"...
    "The Army viewed its "Buffalo soldiers" as having an extra advantage in fighting the war in Cuba, Puerto Rico, and the Philippines. There was an unfounded belief that African-Americans were immune to tropical diseases. Based on this belief congress authorized the raising of ten regiments of "persons possessing immunity to tropical diseases." These regiments would later be called "Immune Regiments"."
    The story continues on...
    "For the assault on San Juan Hill the Tenth Cavalry would be part of the Second Brigade which was composed of the First Cavalry Regiment, Tenth Cavalry Regiment, First Volunteer Cavalry Regiment, and a detachment with four Hotchkiss guns. Different elements of the American army began moving toward Santiago as early as June the 30th. On the march the artillery had to stop 143 times in three miles, due to poor road conditions."
    Just the possibilities are quite interesting...but I know a miss is as good as a mile.
    Thanks, Dick

http://www.spanamwar.com/10thcavhist.htm

The 10th Cav predates the SAW - black troopers served on the frontier (particularly Texas) during the Indian wars. As a matter of fact, there were black regiments (referred to as U.S.C.T. - United States Colored Troops) during the Civil War as well. Of course, all the officers were white - I do not know when that changed - WW2? Later?

I have read an account by a Northern Michigan N.G. Volunteer, who witnessed the storming of El Chaney (Santiago, Cuba) by Black U. S. Regular Infantry. "It was the bravest thing he ever saw"! They were the first into that fortification and captured the Spanish Colors, only to have them taken away by the officer of a white regiment, who wanted the 'Honor' for his men.
    Probably one of the greatest slights was during WW-1, when U. S. Black soldiers had to serve under the French Flag and French Officers, in order to get into combat.
    Last edited by butlersrangers; 05-23-2015 at 01:28. Reason: picture was replaced with one of M1 barrel

Yes, I think it was the plains indians who originally coined the "buffalo soldier" term.
    I have seen pictures of African American officers on various web sites that the poster indicates were taken during WW1.

According to the U. S. Army web site, the first commissioned Black Officer, in the Regular Army, was 2nd. Lt. Henry Ossian Flipper. He was the fifth Black candidate admitted to West Point and the first to graduate (1877).
    Some of his classmates made his life 'hell' and I believe he had to defend himself against trumped up charges.
    He commanded Troop A, 10th Cavalry, at Fort Sill. (I believe there were earlier Black Officers in 'Colored' Regiments during the Civil War - IIRC).
    Last edited by butlersrangers; 05-23-2015 at 01:31. Reason: Flipper's picture replaced with one of M1 barrel

10. Default

369th Infantry Regiment