Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default M1923 Sling Variations

It was a rainy day so I started looking through some of my slings and thought I would post a few different variations of the 1923 sling. I'm sure there are more but Bill Ricca is probably one of the few who can identify them. I have noticed two distinct patterns and what I'll call three variations. The square tip, the round tip, and the later MRT slings. The square tip slings are steel, the round tip are brass, and the MRT are round tip. Observations, the square tip slings have all steel hardware (1 has a brass slide keeper). The round end slings have all brass (non magnetic) hardware (1 has a steel slide keeper). The green or Nov 1951 MRT slings (round tab) have all brass hardware except one has a steel slide keeper. This remains consistent for the other 1923 slings I have that are not pictured. While they appear to be manufactured in 1942 I suspect they were either manufactured by separate companies (however, they look like SM Co) or just later in 42 when brass was a shortage material. Or they just could be repros but I don't think so as I have had several over the years in various used conditions. Any insight or comments are appreciated. Regards,CC
    Attached Images Attached Images

Well , now I'll have to pull mine out and check them . I agree on the early 42 / brass and late'42 / steel thinking . The MRT markings are for mildew resistant treatment , and the 1951 date reflexs when the treatment was done , not when the sling was made. I know of no reproductions of this sling , yet , as demand would be low. Also , being designed in 1923 , I would think that a few were produced before 1942 , but due to the little between war demand , not many.
    Chris

Thank you for the comments. I concur with your assessment. I originally thought the square tips were an early type because most that I had were the earlier colored material like the one on the right in the second picture. It didn't make sense to me though because most interwar buckles, etc., were brass and not steel. I was thinking along the lines of WW1 gear with square tips. But then I started to see WWII dated square tipped slings so that sort of busted my theory. I believe either on this forum or another, Bill Ricca posted that SM Co 1942 ( Schlegel Manufacturing from Rochester, New York. (S.M.Co)) and another company produced the WWII slings. From my notes he also indicated that a company (Lunex Co., in Illinois) either produced or dyed and MRT'd the green slings in 1950'S. I say 50s because on some it looks like 51 and others it looks like it could be a 53.

I do have some MRT 1945 M3 Thompson slings in my stuff , but most MRT I've seen has been in the '50s .
    Chris

Are you sure your sling is mRT treated? From what I have read the army (Monsanto) developed a fungus proofing process sometime in the early 40's (42?) and continued work throughout the war with various agents. I think most WWII stuff is fungus proofed. In 45 they started developing the Mildew agents and I believe most of the items in the late 40's were marked Mildew Proofed, 47, 48, etc., In 1950 I believe Pacific Mills patented the Mildew Resistant Treatment. I could be wrong on that part though. I'll have to dig through my gear but I think the earliest MRT marked items I have are in the 50's. I don't have a large assortment of field gear so I could be off in my dates. Any comments on your m1923 slings?
    Regards,
    Curt

All four of my 1923 slings are round tip brass and very light green, two are dated 1942, one is to light to read and one, used, has no date. The used one I have on a 1921 1903 NM I shoot, one on a 1919 NM, one on a M1922 M2 and one on a 8/42 Remington 1903 as issued. None have a MRT markings. Neat slings but complicated.

No kidding - I wanted an M1923 to have on one of my Remingtons but the sling was too complicated, despite two sets of instructions and an email or two.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

You "complicated" guys amaze me. The M1923 is nothing more than an M1907 with buckles in place of hooks and holes. Very simple once you accept that premise - and forget everything else you ever saw on the subject, 99.9% of which is at least partly unworkable.

Even the GI manual has one major error - the "FEED END SHORT STRAP" is threaded backwards and won't hold tension. Photo shows the way that does work. Don't believe it? Try both ways and see.

Para, thanks those are the best photos for probably the best and most correct or intended use of the sling. There are other diagrams in pubs and books, Campbell etc., and they just don't work as well. As Para indicates even though the drawings depict one thing the pull on the buckles, does not work in the most efficient manner. If you set it up as Para describes the sling works very well.

Para, I think you were one of the people who emailed me, but, while my eyes understood, my brain didn't. I have a notorious lack of eye-hand coordination. I realize the fault is mine alone!
    Last edited by Rick the Librarian; 10-08-2014 at 07:41.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis