Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rust removal

Default Rust removal

I have a Ruger Blackhawk .45 Convertible that I've recentally taken ownership of. It's a 1979 and had around 100 rounds through it. Despite it's low round count, storage has taken it's toll and the revolver has rust on (not in the bore thank goodness) the barrel, cylinders and frame.

On a small area I tried scotchbrite and Hoppes, but I'm not satisfied with the results as it took it to bare metal.

I could sure use some advice on how to remove this blight from the gun. It's previous owner was a good friend's father who recently passed, and I'm thrilled to have been able to work a trade for the gun as he was a heck of a guy.

Thanks, Craig

If the rust is that bad you may consider a reblue. I'v had it done on a couple of mine. A good smith can make it look good enough that you may not want to shoot it.

Thanks for your response, and no doubt a reblue would look awesome. At this time though I'd just like to get it cleaned up, the rust is spotted in a few places and I can live with a couple of imperfections (love my cpm rifles : )).

I've used hoppes, wd40 and CLP with a nylon brush, and I'm soaking the .45acp cylinder. I'd like to find a solvent that would negate or remove with surface rust without removing the blue around it. I guess I'll just keep cleaning it, maybe buy some shooters choice. I just got the .45acp cylinder today from my friend (he didn't know his father had a convertible and just ran across it), but the .45 colt is great fun to shoot!

Thanks again Joem for your advice.

Craig

Here is a photo of the cylinder, and this is probably the worst of the rust.

[IMG][/IMG]

Those look like small pits in the metal. Even a reblue may not hide that.

The revolver in question requires at a minimum a re-blue. No easy magical solution here.
    If a re-blue isn't in the cards 0000 steel wool or equivalent with an oil/solvent of your choice or a carding brush "available at Brownells" can remove minor surface feckling without damaging the finish. DO NOT use Scotchbrite on a finely polished then blued firearm,,,,ever.

Roger that, I'll try the 0000 steel wool as finances won't allow for a bluing at this time.

Appreciate your responses joem and warpig.

Craig

Get these,they work great and will not remove the bluing underneath rust.I've used them on vintage guns to remove rust like that with no ill efects on the underlying finish.That gun may clean up better than you think.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...prod21175.aspx
    A man with a sword may talk of peace.A man with out a sword may talk of peace,but he must talk very fast indeed.

Thanks JB, I just placed the order and I'll let it soak until the stainless sponge arrives.

Craig

I like using bronze wool instead of stainless or steel wool. The Bronze will not affect the finish but will remove the rust. Just some gun oil on the rust and start rubbing with the bronze wool.