Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter5 Guest

Default Sporter 98k: Capture with Documents

98k Rifle was sold for $25 by a GI Corporal of the 7772cd Signal Service Company who confiscated it. New owner later sporterized the rifle in Germany in 1949 by Schonland and Shurstein of Walldorf at a time when Germany was in dire economic straights and most firearm mfg was not allowed by the occupying powers. Gunsmith cost was 500 but unknown if USD or DM; the claw mounts alone are expensive even today. New owner stays in Germany until the 1980s and uses it for hunting. Other documents include provost marshall and customs forms, etc. It still hunts although the optics are not modern quality. The original mfg, waffenamts, etc were all scrubbed but new proofs were stamped as well as some minor engraving. The reblue is a light plum-purple color. It has nice balance and lighter weight barrel re-contour. Some neat history not often seen or documented.

Last edited by Shooter5; 10-03-2014 at 10:59.

Nice job and documentation.
    $500 bucks was a small fortune in those days and I bet on DMs.

A friend and collecter I used to shoot with had a K98 battle field pick up that he got from a widow after her husband died. It had capture papers and a hand written blurb about the area and details of the pick up. He wrote that the rifle was under a dead german and had much blood on it. Nobody else would take so he took it. Washed it off but bluing came off where blood sat on it. Wish I could have bought it but he died suddenly and kids took and sold off everything. What a loss.

The 1st proof house which would proof civilian guns opened (re-opened) in 1951 but they all weren't fully back in business until the mid 50's. Prior to that there simply was nowhere in the western sector of post war Germany to offically proof guns intended for the civilian market. Apparently gunsmiths had access to proof rounds however and did the job themselves, but such testing would not constitute an official proof, but at least the maker knew his product was up to snuff. As a rule, the proof law standards in effect post WWII were almost identical to the 1939 law. RE-proofing was required only if there were certain, specific things done which could effect the integrity of the barrel and/or bolt. It's probably a moot point, but I wonder if, after the 1st proof house opened in 1951 @ Ulm, the maker requested that the owner have it officially proofed; or if there was subsequent work done which required re-proofing after the proof houses were re-opened. Each proof house has it's own unique stamping (ie. Ulm-Oberndorf is a stag antler). While the post 1945 proof law used the same technical standards as the 1939 law, the required stamping designs were changed.

An FYI to people with this type of gun. A friend of mine has a "bring back" sporting 98 (made between the wars as a sporting gun) which has the same claw setup as this gun. Unfortunately the original scope, which apparently was WWI German military surplus from the markings on it, had a cracked lens. The original "rings" in the rifle are of European dimension, but he found an American provider for 1 inch replacements @ a reasonable price. The "claw" sections of the replacement parts needed a bit of fine fitting (filing) but the task was successfully completed and the rifle restored to shooting condition with a standard 1" scope.

Shooter5 Guest

kCW: thanks, good to know. It sure would be better to have a nice Leupold scope instead. I wish I could afford to install claw mounts on some of my other rifles. Interesting history on proofing; as you can see it has the stag antler proof with the data numbers (16.5.68 8x57IS). What do the numbers translate to? Perhaps the owner did have the proofing/stamp conducted at a later time. I wonder what the exchange rate was for DM to USD in 1949? Perhaps it was more favorable to GIs at that time. I sure would like to know which mfg and date code was originally on the ring. It was replaced with "unbraughbar", wonder what that means?
    Last edited by Shooter5; 10-04-2014 at 05:45.

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter5 View Post
    kCW: thanks, good to know. It sure would be better to have a nice Leupold scope instead. I wish I could afford to install claw mounts on some of my other rifles. Interesting history on proofing; as you can see it has the stag antler proof with the data numbers (16.5.68 8x57IS). What do the numbers translate to? Perhaps the owner did have the proofing/stamp conducted at a later time. I wonder what the exchange rate was for DM to USD in 1949? Perhaps it was more favorable to GIs at that time. I sure would like to know which mfg and date code was originally on the ring. It was replaced with "unbraughbar", wonder what that means?
    If you could get a look at the Ulm proofhouse records you would find that your rifle was the 16th piece proofed in May of 1968 The information listed there would include the name of the person or company submitting the piece for testing. Understand that in Germany, and most of Europe, the barrel IS the gun for legal, civilian purposes. In the U.S. it's the receiver. In Germany,
    required technical data about civilian guns is stamped on the barrel, often much of it often under the wood. 8x57IS is the same thing as our 8x57JS round as standardized by SAMMI specs. The IS designation is that of the "Commission International Permanente", a 100 year old international organization (all of 14 countries are involved, including Germany) which sets standards for proofing. You're also going to find at least one stag head stamp on the barrel with a letter underneath it (most likely an N but maybe a J also).
    From your pics I don't see any steps in the barrel indicating it to be a GI barrel. Sometimes those steps were machined off, but I think it likely that a sporting barrel has been installed, maybe in 1968, which might explain the 1968 proofing.

FYI Shooter5, I now recall that a half dozen or so years ago somebody was offering a set of split filler shims for the purpose of converting the bigger diameter German claw rings to accept a 1" scope. I believe that the price at the time was around $95 which I thought was very reasonable considering the alternatives available. For the life of me however I can't find a source for that product at this time.

Shooter5 Guest

KCW: thanks for the additional info. Maybe its time to take it apart and check for more stamps. New England Custom is the only source I know of in the States that does claw mount work.

https://www.newenglandcustomgun.com

Also, the gunsmith receipt states a new stock was added and the owner I purchased from stated the barrel was originally military but had been re-contoured/turned down.
    Last edited by Shooter5; 10-05-2014 at 06:59.

Shooter5,
    I found the source for the 1" split steel inserts to convert the common 26.5mm German rings to handle a 1" scope. They can be found @ www.accumounts.com, in their K98 scope section. Just $25 shipped! Their idea is to allow the use of a 1" scope with the various WWII K96 sniper scopes, but I can't see why they wouldn't work on your setup, assuming of course that it is in fact 26.5mm.