Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shotgun book or websites?

Default Shotgun book or websites?

I'm trying to learn more about military shotguns (I'm late into this game!) and just ordered Canfields latest book. Are there any others worth picking up as well? My search only shows Canfields early and late one and Leroy Thompsons book which I'm concerned about based on the carbine book accusations. Beside this forum, are their any others that have decent military shotgun forums I can start reading and learning?

I've already bought two entry level pieces. A few years ago I picked up a Savage 720, barrel is not US marked and has a cuts comp on it. Stock was sanded and a small compass inlayed into it but it was dirt cheap money so I grabbed it.

The next one I just got last weekend, a Rem mod 11. I think I overpaid for that one because I didn't know what I was buying. Paid $475 for it, appears to be original 1941(?) action with FJA marked stock and SAA rebuild mark. I learned so far, after buying it, that the entire front end is a sportsman type. Barrel is not US marked. I'm wondering if it got converted to this configuraton during the SAA rebuild or later. Is it worth trying to restore it back to it's original configuration?
    I'll try and get pics up later but meanwhile I'm looking for book/web info. Thanks!
    Dave

2. Default

Dave, Bruce Canfield's 2007 Combat Shotgun book is probably the best reference publication available. And this is a great forum for Military shotgun info.

3. Default

Machine gun boards has a military shotgun forum as well but it doesn't get as much traffic as this one

Thanks guys. Looks like I'll keep browsing the forums and wait for my Canfield book to show up.

5. Default

The milsurps board has a pretty active group also.

Other than Bruce C., Tom D. appears to be the most knowledgeable around that I've seen, so you might as well stay here.
    ̿' ̿'\̵͇̿̿\з=(◕_◕)=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿

My Canfield book arrived, got some new reading material!
    I collect expensive hobbies.

8. Default

You should have a look at the book that started it all on military shotguns:

"The World's Fighting Shotguns", by Thomas F. Swearengen (Chief Warrant Officer, U.S. Marine Corps, Ret.), 1978, Distributed by T.B.N. Enterprises, Alexandria, VA. Long out of print now, but can be found on amazon.com and eBay.com.

While it doesn't have the "Collector Notes" / details that B. Canfield's excellent book offers (in 1978, U.S. combat shotguns weren't of much interest to most USA military enthusiast), it covers over 400 shotgun and related weapons - starting at the turn of the century. Lots of photos.

Unfortunately, he passed on (early 1980's) before he could produced his revised and updated edition.

For me, a definite reference book if you are interested in "fighting" shotguns.

You would need a mag tube , proper forend , recoil spring and end nut . Only you can say if it's worth doing . Many say no.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by emmagee1917 View Post
    You would need a mag tube , proper forend , recoil spring and end nut . Only you can say if it's worth doing . Many say no.
    Chris
    Thanks Chris. I already have everything except the forend. I've been collecting A5's for a long time and I've had numerous model 11's over the years so the platform itself is not new to me. I've managed to aquire some spare parts for them over the years. When I was 15 I shot my first deer with a "pre model 11" that I later found out was made the first year, 1905. It had a 10K serial number. I ended up selling it and now wish I still had it. I just never got into the military versions and that is what I need to learn, along with other things like barrel types. For example, is the Sportsman barrel the same as the standard front end barrel? It looks the same. Is the only difference the mag tube assembly and forend?
    Dave