Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default T-99 in CMP Match

I shot my Toyo Kogyo Series 31 in a CMP Vintage Rifle Match yesterday. This was the first time I've used it in a match and I had a blast shooting it, although my results were not quite what I had hoped - 195-0X (I had 5 misses in the Off Hand phase)! For loads, I used Hornady 174 gr FMJ bullets over 39.0 grains of IMR-4064 and a CCI-200 primer. I used Norma cases and sealed the bullets and primers. For a sling, I used the Web sling off my Garand. The Type-99 can be a little temperamental in a match... During the Rapid phase, I lost precious seconds because of difficulty closing the bolt on a round, and wound up with a saved round (the match official allowed me an additional six seconds to get it off, so I did wind up with all ten on the paper). That straight-up bolt handle is different operating than my usual Vintage gun (my Krag). Still, I'll definitely do this again! I've included a couple pictures:

Shooting in the Slow Fire Prone phase.

Shooting in the Off Hand (standing) phase. I put the anti-aircraft wings down just for laughs...
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

That is friggin cool!! With dust cover and monopod. Did the dust cover hold you up at all?

Nope... just one round where I was having trouble closing the bolt. I attribute that to the spring tension of cocking the thing while closing the bolt, coupled with the fact that the bolt is in a different position than I'm used to with my Krag. I've been shooting the Arisakas for a long time, but never in a competition where you are timed. That clock ticking away is in the back of your mind, and sure does tick loudly when you only have 80 seconds to get off ten rounds accurately, including a reload!

For what it's worth... I've been threatening to take this T-99 to Camp Perry to shoot an additional Vintage there for a couple years now. After this, I may just do that!!!
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

Shooter5 Guest

Neat! More power to you; it appears your course of fire included shooting down aircraft? Ha!

LOL Yeah... I was ready for em'! I put the wings down just to see if anyone asked what the heck they were for... no one did.

Very cool ! I would have thought you would have taken the dust cover off just like the Japanese did !

Believe it or not, the dust cover posed no problems at all... and I never heard it rattle either, although I was concentrating on other things at the time!

Dust covers seem to either pose no problem or be hell to work with. I think most of the bad ones are mismatched or taken off trainers.....bent. rusted or whatever else can cause trouble.
    I own firearms not to fight against my government, but to ensure I will not have to.

Had you tried the monopod prone. Would it be 'legal' anyway?
    Contempt of congress, 350 million co-defendents

The Monopod is a nice addition for a conversation piece... but in actual use, they are pretty shaky. Being made from wire, the rifle can really sway from side to side in use. They are not legal to use in a CMP match either.