Shooter5 Guest

Default Persian Mauser Carbine and Long Rifle

Carbine arrived and its condition is decent. Had to get one to match the long version. Farsi word for long is 'boland' and short is 'kootaw'. It appears the carbine was made in Iran and not Czechoslovakia.

FYI recap for the receiver markings:
    Boland:

Tofangey (Rifle or Gun) Bolanday (Long) Naymoonay (Model) 1317 (1938) Karhawnayay (Factory) Asslawhaysawzee (Weapon Mfg) Brno

Kootaw:

Karabin Naymoonay 1328 (1949) Sahktay (Built) Asslawhaysawzee Artesh (Army)

The stock on the long version is marked "Peeyawday" = Foot (literally); Infantry. The stock on the carbine is marked "Toophawnay" = Ball House (literally); Artillery.

Question: why doesn't the bayonet fit the carbine - is there a special bayonet just for carbines?

I have the long version with bayonet also. When that pig-sticker is attached the rifle becomes an adequate tool with which to "un-horse" mounted attackers. Persian infantrymen had some expectation of having to do this. I don't think high-ranking decision-makers deemed artillerymen as having a similar need. The carbine does have a Mauser-like bayonet mounting system, so perhaps there exists a shorter bayonet more in keeping with the carbine's diminutive stature. From your photo the bayonet appears 3/4 the length of the carbine!
    "Wars are, of course, as a rule to be avoided; but they are far better than certain kinds of peace." - T.R.

Shooter5 Guest

Being no expert I'll WAG that my carbine is an early production in Iran when CZ/Skoda were assisting during set up and initial production run and that could explain the European style stock and other small parts plus stampings. (The 'later' Iranian production seems to be more rough in appearance/finish/crest stampings etc). I found a reference below that says the carbine requires its own bayonet.

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...-Bayonet-98-29

Any Mauser bayo should fit that carbine. The lug the bayo slips on were standard, but tolerances sometimes varied enough that 'any bayo' may not go on a certain rifle. The rod/barrel overhang, looks longer then the rifle, so longer handled bayo may be needed.
    Many of these carbines were rebuilt and new wood added during rebuild.
    PS: just tried my rifle bayo on carbine, it fits with rod removed so the hole must be deeper for the rod in a carbine bayo. My rods (rifle, carbine) seem the same length as yours.
    Last edited by dave; 10-16-2014 at 05:37.