Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. Default

Top two shelves are DRMs and SNLs. Mainly DRMs. Lower shelves are the 1920s/1930s TRs.

2. Default

There's more. Other closets and the basement. I don't like keeping stuff down there due to environment. I'm supposed to have bedroom #1 and the cave. The cave is big, has 7 of those book cases full of books and manuals, but I've reached the safe limit. So 152 long guns max in those. In a pinch low value ones don't need to be in there.

The Krag book resulted in overflow. That's mainly why I need to push that book out. I need those rooms back at some point.

In any event the Krag book should be out before much longer. The rest of the books? At this point I'm thinking "a decade hence." Lots of data to process. Missing items to buy. Then the big walk for the books.

The wife is tolerant.

3. Default

This might be a little long and a little "ventish."

I finished the Krag book. Knocked it out in about two weeks. Obviously my typing speed is epic. I was a programmer. Posted some pictures here for comments. Two parties were heard from (one here and one elsewhere):
    1) Hosmer. Didn't like me baking up a school gun.

Which presented a problem. I didn't want to spend money on a "PC" rifle when they're all nonsense. I'm also not big on .22s. So no GP. Fine, whatever, I bought a GP and a JFC stamped school gun. With those done it then bugged me that I was missing the first block 1899. So I trolled for one. Have one now but that's a saga so I kind of don't. But kind of do. Long story. UPS turned the stock into lumber in shipping, which isn't a problem as I have another, but it just kind of went hinky. While I was rounding up those guns I didn't want I also bid good money on a Parkhurst. Was barely beat out. Ok, it's a sign, no Parkhurst. Not spending that kind of money just to get a gun for one photo. "Borrow a photo." No. Against my religion. If I photo it - it's mine. Except the tropical oiler as I made an exception for that after getting a dispensation from the gods. Mook sent me a nice photo before he died.

Getting long? Figured it I had to buy the few guns I was missing I might as well get the cadet bayonets. So I did. Both years and two different scabbards. Missing the bolo bayonet. That, like the Parkhurst, can just piss off. Not paying that kind of money for something that doesn't light my fire. I did get a keystone scabbard and that's compensation.

So guns and blades complete. Except the 1892 carbine and cadet but that's another story.

2) A little birdie.

"You really do have to include pictures of peripheral stuff too." Really? Why? The stuff was packed in plastic bins. Lots of them. The amount of work to process that? "Too much."

Fine. Took the car out of the garage. Bought boxes. Set them up in the garage. Where else will they fit? Started opening bins. Boxed it in the garage. Leaving the boxes with stuff that's Krag era out. Thus those open boxes above. So the non-Krag era stuff was completely processed and boxed. The Krag era stuff is in boxes in the dining room. Living room. Kitchen. Front hall. Well, pretty much everywhere except the bathroom and bedroom #4. We sleep there.

So I'm ready. I have all the guns. I have all the blades. The boxes are out having the gear.

Except now I'm pooped.

Shooter5 Guest

Now you're just making excuses…

Seriously -

Oh. My. Goodness. You need to buy a bigger house and hire a secretary.

Good grief! Where do you have room for you?

Seriously please keep on keeping on. I'm looking forward to buying your book as a present for my one and only Krag.

Jerry Liles

Likewise, I'll be getting one as soon as you confirm their availability.
    Regards, Jim

Put me down for one too Joe!

P.S. When you're finished, and feel like gifting some of those beautiful Krags, remember - I'm your long lost cousin! LOL Seriously though... your hard work will pay of in spades! Awesome!
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

Now that's what I call a collection.

Tried the cover on the Krag, Enfield, and Springfield with the part marked "place over cocking piece", as it says and it fit them all, Ray.
    Last edited by rayg; 09-25-2014 at 11:19.

Boy, that Hosmer guy has really been a minor, but persistant, irritant, hasn't he?

I think, though after years of tilting at windmills as it were, I should know better than to question, that it was the (apparently) humped Cadet that I objected to?

Looking forward to the book! Am sure we will all be grateful for your efforts. Best wishes.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Hosmer View Post
    Boy, that Hosmer guy has really been a minor, but persistant, irritant, hasn't he?
    Indeed.

I think, though after years of tilting at windmills as it were,
    Dick, if I didn't respect you I'd ignore you. Same for the birdy. Call yourself Jiminy Cricket if it helps. If I didn't think you had a point it wouldn't have derailed the book for a year.

I should know better than to question, that it was the (apparently) humped Cadet that I objected to?
    Humped picture. We already did that. Honestly it annoyed people that they fell for it - not that I did it. Then the emotion hits that "I've been snookered." Indeed you were. That's followed by "I must be losing it." Better to go the other way: "the bugger did a illusion worthy of Copperfield." It'd be harder to do in real life. Why? It was morphed pictures of three guns from the right era. The base was a gun made at the same time. The other pictures excluded any details that would detract. That can't be done in real life.

Maybe it can now that I think about it. I guess it depends on the effort one wants to spend. Photo editing takes very little. Aging wood takes much.

Anyway. If I didn't respect you and the birdie I wouldn't listen.

Looking forward to the book! Am sure we will all be grateful for your efforts. Best wishes.
    People will love it or hate it. I'm not sure there will be any middle ground.
    Last edited by 5MadFarmers; 09-25-2014 at 02:44.