Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Krag Canvas Breech cover?

As long as I've been posting on the Krag thread lately, might as well add/ask this question. Is this a Krag cover or a 1917 Enfield one. It fits both but I see the Enfield ones have snaps and are dated. This one has no date. I always assumed it was for the Krag and had it on mine for years but then I realized it has the profile on top that looks like it was made to fit over the ears on the Enfield.
    Wondering too if the 42 written under the Co B, could be a regt. number or a rack/rifle number. Ray

Added 9/25, Disregard the way the cover is shown on the Enfield, found out the extended canvas goes over/on the trigger guard not over the sight ears.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by rayg; 09-25-2014 at 11:43.

The protective ears shape on top says it's for the M1917 or P14...
    Regards, Jim

That is an accessory I've never owned, but are not the Krag ones marked "Place over cocking piece" or similar?

Perhaps similar wording is used on others? I also have to say that, until yesterday, I thought such items were unique to the Krag - but, learn something every day!!

They've made action covers for just about everything...
    Regards, Jim

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by rayg View Post
    As long as I've been posting on the Krag thread lately, might as well add/ask this question. Is this a Krag cover
    Yes.

or a 1917 Enfield one.
    Question unclear. There is a distinction.

The US had an action cover during WW1 with snaps. That was for the M-1903 (Springfield) and M-1917 (Enfield).
    The Brits had an action cover for the SMLE.

Both of those later two have snaps. The Brit one I have has the "broad arrow" marking and is dated to WW2. The US WW1 ones I have retain maker marks and year stamping. There were various makers.

It's US as it has Rock Island Arsenal Stamp and also the "Place over cocking piece" stamp but no stamped date. If you look closely at the photo you can see the stamps.

PS, just noticed it has inspectors initials C.E.K. stamped on it. When did that inspector work at RI?

Another PS, If I would have just got off my butt I could have looked in Poyer's Krag book to find the answer. He says it's for the Krag and the two canvas protrusions are on the bottom and fit over the trigger guard of the Krag and not on top for the 17 Enfield ears. You know I apparently knew that back when I displayed it on the Krag but forgot and when I took it of the rifle recently after it was on there for years, I didn't pay attention that they were covering the TG. Not only must I learn once, but once again. Is there no hope for me?
    Last edited by rayg; 09-24-2014 at 01:18.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by rayg View Post
    PS, just noticed it has inspectors initials C.E.K. stamped on it. When did that inspector work at RI?
    Not an inspector. Need closeup of the stamp. Obviously it's not Henry Kelsey (HEK) as the first letter is a C. Kelsey was an inspector and shows up on lot of the leather. I suspect it's Krieger.

Longer version...

If they were an inspector of any type or a harness maker I can tell you when they were there. A big grid with the people running down the side and their job running sideway through the years. I have that for SA also with both being a lot of work. I also have work rosters for private makers during the CW but, again, that was a lot of work.

For RIA if they're not an inspector or harness worker it's harder. For SA I just did everybody. Rock Island Arsenal was much bigger. A lot more people. So I skipped anyone not a harness maker or inspector of various flavors.

That doesn't mean I can't ID them as I can. What it does mean is they're not in the table. Thus I'd have to walk the civil service hiring report abstracts. Which is very painful.

So if it's Krieger it's easy. Depends on that middle initial. If it's not Krieger it's hard.

It's hard because I just did a sample of the long term RIA workers for that initial set. No hit.

So if it's not Krieger it's a temporary worker. They hired a lot of people as a result of the war. They weren't there long. Thus a lot of names to walk.

I won't say it's not interesting information as it is. What I'm saying is the volume is large. Springfield had 3818 workers in 1942. 5136 in 1944. Rock Island was bigger. Granted 1903 isn't 1942 but the numbers aren't small.

During WW1, at the end, there were 2296 ordnance department inspectors total. That's just inspectors.

So big numbers when we include workers. Given those initials aren't an inspector they're either a harness maker or sewing machine operator. Krieger was the only harness maker with initials which qualify. Depending on that middle initial. If it's not Krieger it's a sewing machine operator. Which means walking everybody as it's not segregated by job.

That's a lot of work. I know this as I did it multiple times to cull out the inspectors and harness makers.
    Last edited by 5MadFarmers; 09-24-2014 at 05:14.

This is the best the camera will do
    Last edited by rayg; 09-24-2014 at 05:47.

9. Default

I'm going with Krieger. Charles Krieger. Harness Maker. Tracked him there from 1903 to 1919. He might have been there earlier.

Born in Peoria, 1873. Started at RIA somewhere between 1900 and 1903.

Shooter5 Guest

You need to publish. Hurry up quick like; I/we aint gonna live forever.
    Last edited by Shooter5; 09-24-2014 at 07:06.