Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No5

1. Default No5

Been looking for a No5 Mk1 for some time. Finally landed one. Think I did pretty good. It is a number's matching, post war (1947). Pretty excited to add it to my Milsurp weapon collection. Now, I just need to find a bayonet and sling for it. Other than that, the only thing it needs is a front sling swivel (I have one on the way) and bullets.. Can't wait to take it to the range.

Fun rifles and a nice catch. I shoot mine with a reduced load that makes it fun and less painful.

Watch IMA-USA for bayo and slings are plentiful, unless you are looking for a specific time era. Watch Liberty Tree Collectors also. Love mine, never paid much attention to recoil. In the .308 range
    Democrat: A person too stupid to know they're a communist.

If you heard my shot, I wasn't aiming at you.

4. Default

I see repops at IMA, but I want to find an authentic one, so I'll wait till I can find one. I haven't taken it to the range yet, but looking forward in shooting it. I hear it isn't quite as bad as a soviet M44, which I also have and enjoy shooting. Might be a bit more than the Garand which I also love to shoot. Having and shooting the M44 and the Garand, I suspect the JC to be somewhere inbetween the too for recoil so it shouldn't be anything Im not accustom to. Im kinda a recoil junky anyway, so maybe I'll get a fix from it too.. lol.. Thanks fokes. I'll most likely post a post range report on it before too long too.

I already ordered an authentic sling for it, and the correct sling swivel (notice it's missing that on the front). Found one of those at Southwestern Shooters Supply. So, we're getting there. Ya got to know how to accesorize..
    Last edited by Tudorp; 09-23-2014 at 02:17.

I have a 1945. It thumps but no more than my M95 carbine or a M44, more than a Garand. I have an extra WSC bayonet that went through a rearsenal. I might part with it, give me a day to think about it.

That rubber buttpad is not to protect your shoulder, but rather to protect the floor of the aircraft!

7. Default

P246, give it some thought, and let me know.

Actually, the butt pad on these contrary to popular belief was not intended to be a recoil pad, but rather an "anti-slip" feature to give some grip on your shoulder over a standard steel butt pad. That said, it didn't do much for that purpose either from what I have read.

Make sure you check the inside of the butt plate for rust. More than likely be some.

regards, dennis

9. Default

I will do that. I generally completely tear down my vintage firearms when I 1st get them to find and address potential issues to preserve them. I haven't torn down this one yet, but will very soon before I take it to the range.

Congrats on a nice acqutsition. I got one of the bunch imported about 9 years back by SOG if memory serves. It had some pitting umder the wood but nothing serious, I paid $240.00 + shipping for it and still think I got a good deal, I've shot it a fair amount with my handloads and have never noted the "wandering zero" they were supposed to be plagued with. Its definately a fun shooter and a nice piece of history.