Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: .223 vs 5.56

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Parashooter View Post
    Wouldn't it be nice if everyone read the original post on this thread? In case you didn't, it's about brass for handloading - not about firing factory ammunition. Wake up, folks!
    Exactly. Exhibit A

Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

Quote Originally Posted by Hefights View Post
    Politics, religion, and 5.56 vs .223 (7.62 vs .308)
    .......and what rifle Alvin York used, and are low number '03s safe to shoot

Quote Originally Posted by Parashooter View Post
    Wouldn't it be nice if everyone read the original post on this thread? In case you didn't, it's about brass for handloading - not about firing factory ammunition. Wake up, folks!
    It is not unusual for responses to a specific post to side track into other parameters related to the general topic. I appreciate and welcome the additional data.

Quote Originally Posted by Hefights View Post
    Politics, religion, and 5.56 vs .223 (7.62 vs .308)
    Chevy vs Ford?

Quote Originally Posted by Art View Post
    .......and what rifle Alvin York used, and are low number '03s safe to shoot
    Art, Alvin used a German Luger. Anyone who saw the movie knows that!!! No doubt it was a low number Luger.
    Last edited by tmark; 09-28-2014 at 08:05.

Quote Originally Posted by tmark View Post
    Chevy vs Ford?
    Blonde vs Brunette...well, either one really..

LOL

FYI I have a Ruger Hawkeye in 223 Rem. I had my gunsmith run a Wylde reamer into the chamber so that I could shoot both 223 and 5.56 safely. Gunsmith said that almost no metal was removed by the reamer. He fired both 5.56 and 223 in the rifle and said they both function fine with no unusual pressure signs. I do get almost 300 fps faster, 3100 in 5.56 as opposed to 2850 in 223 commercial ammo. And this is out of a 16 inch bbl. It's all a mystery to me.

Deleted comment..

John
    Last edited by JohnMOhio; 02-02-2015 at 10:17.
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.
    Author unkown.

It is my understand that the 5.56 NATO round is usually loaded to a higher pressure. Please note that when you size a 5.56 in .223 dies, you get a .223 case. Also I might add that the 5.56 brass is usually thicker. Therefore when sized to .223 spec's the interior is somewhat smaller. If case capacity is less, then the pressure will most likely be higher when equal powder amount is used along with the same bullet verses civilian brass which is a thinner.

John
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.
    Author unkown.