1. Default How to find a lost tool—or how I found my 8X Unertl

(Also posted on CMP Forum)

After 2 years of fruitless efforts to find an 8 power Unertl, I found this set of Unertl mounts and decided to use my Creedmoor scope and have my 1903A1 drilled and tapped to make an M1941 for use in the sniper matches.

A couple hours later, at the same show, I found this:
    [Note to JB: This is the rifle that you reviewed for my friend KK]

So it follows the old adage that if you can’t find something, go buy one, and you’ll find what you’ve been looking for.

That is a beautuful rifle sir. Im just starting on the M1941 adventure after finding a scope and rifle last week.

What are you doing with the set of Unertl Mounts. Im building one on a 10X Target FAUX USMC. My scope has newer style mounts though, no screw caps.

3. Default

Thanks, that is a nice looking rifle you showed too. Before I found the complete rifle, I had Craig Steggall go thru the mounts. He disassembled them & got them in top working order. Polished them too. Then when it turned out that I didn't need them, he suggested I put them on ebay with a BIN of $400. I may do that.

Quote Originally Posted by al in oregon View Post
    Thanks, that is a nice looking rifle you showed too. Before I found the complete rifle, I had Craig Steggall go thru the mounts. He disassembled them & got them in top working order. Polished them too. Then when it turned out that I didn't need them, he suggested I put them on ebay with a BIN of $400. I may do that.
    Id like to get a set like those as they are what the USMC used verse the later style my scope has. They are probably worth the $400 I guess, I have no idea what they sell for.

They are beautiful but I would be sending them off to get anodized that oily black that the USMC mounts were. All that beauty/shine would be for naught in my case.

Im going to fire my rifle in its issue form in about an hour. If it does well it will go to Chuck in Denver for the blocks to be mounted. Would really like to have an update on your rifle when your fire with the scope. Its a beautiful piece. Thank you for getting back sir.

Keep me in mind if you don't move those mounts but I don't imagine you will have them long.

Phil M

5. Default

Actually they were green anodized also sorta pale OD color.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny in Texas View Post
    Actually they were green anodized also sorta pale OD color.
    Yeah I was talking to an anodizer that frequents these sites and tried to describe it as "oily black with bronze undertones and olive highlights".

I had a scare trying to get the erector screws out of my scope so that I could remove the recoil spring assembly. When I had successfully removed them I just decided Im not going to screw with the scope anymore. Ill leave the mounts silver. The scope is the wrong magnification and the rifle is not USMC so no sense risking screwing things up trying to make it something its not.

Ill keep an eye out for mounts like the Op has and maybe when I get a second set Ill try the anodize route and trade/sell my new style set.
    Last edited by pmclaine; 10-15-2014 at 06:54.