Thread: Brass Sling Hardware

1. Default Brass Sling Hardware

I've been meaning to post this for some time but haven't gotten around to it until now.

One of the things really lacking is a 1907 sling with quality brass hardware. The only ones typically available are the cheap $25.00 jobs that are an insult to any good rifle. About a year and a half ago I was rummaging around in the garage and found a cradboard box with something rattling around inside. Low and behold I found the remnants of a sling, dated 1918, that I had taken off another rifle years before. (It helps to never throw away anything gun related.) While the sling was rotten and in overall sorry shape, not even suitable for a static display, the hardware was good to go. This consisted of both hooks and the original D-ring.

I removed the hardware from the sling remnants and gently cleaned off the verdigris. I didn't attempt to remove the rivets but instead left them in place. I then sent the parts off to Turner Saddlery and asked them to mount them on one of their slings, with the instruction that the parts were not to be polished bright.

This is the result.

If you need a functional sling with brass hardware this is the best alternative I've found.

I've read before that Turner Saddlery will do that if you can send them original brass fittings. Nice looking sling! How long did it take them to complete the job and send the sling back to you?
    Last edited by Fred; 09-16-2014 at 11:43.

3. Default

Fred, I hate to say so but I don't really remember. I believe the quote was six to eight weeks. Regardless, they made it within the stated delivery time which wasn't excessive. They did compliment me on my clean up of the fittings. I took that to mean, "Thanks for not taking a dremel to it." or something similar.
    Last edited by PKelly; 09-16-2014 at 11:48.

4. Default

how much did it cost?

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by tbone69 View Post
    how much did it cost?
    I believe the price was similar to their stock sling, perhaps a little more. It would be best to contact Turner directly on that. I'm afraid I've slept since then.

6. Default

Apparently Turner is now producing brass hardware in-house and will soon be offering it as an option.