Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default no4 mk1 peddled scheme question

I was looking at a friends No4 Mk1 rifle. It said it was a PEDDLED SCHEME rifle. From the research I have done I understand the the PEDDLED SCHEME guns were not made any more after WW1. Could his rifle be a peddled scheme gun? What markings should be on it? If so how much of a premium does this put on the value? As always thanks for the help in advance.

Not aware of any peddle schemes during WW11.

I have never seen a No4 marked as such. Photos of the rifle with the marking might shed a little light on it...maybe. That having been said, the No4 rifle was designed with dispersal production in mind and BSA came to rely on it more heavily during the war years.

As far as I know only the WW1 era SSA/NRF rifles are commonly called peddled scheme.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

Peddled scheme rifles were No1Mk3's and there ain't no stinking premium on them

5. Default

He could be meaning it's a Lend lease No4.

Sounds like someone has got their terms mixed up. No No4 Enfields were ever peddled scheme. I think this might be the rare exception to the "never say never" rule.
    Enfield, everything else is just a rifle. Unless it's a Garand.

Long pig, it's what's for Dinner!

Quote Originally Posted by GBEAR1 View Post
    I was looking at a friends No4 Mk1 rifle. It said it was a PEDDLED SCHEME rifle. .
    Do you mean that "Peddled Scheme" was actually marked on the rifle ?

As has been previously said, WW2 production of BSA rifles was 'Dispersed' (to minimise bomb-damage) Components were manufactured in a number of factories and then final assembly was undertaken at BSA Shirley.

In reality there is no difference in the concept of "Peddled Scheme" & 'Dispersal', just that 'Peddled' was used because SSA could not produce enough parts to complete a rifle, and 'Dispersal' was used to maintain production in the event a one factory being bombed.

No4's produced by BSA under the Dispersal system normally just have the letter B on the butt socket, in lieu of the full BSA

8. Default

I dont remember all the markings on it and it was not lend lease. I was just told that it was a peddled scheme rifle because it had parts on it that were not consistent with what would normally be seen . But from what I can figure the peddled scheme program was over at the end of WW1 and it pertained only to N01Mk3 rifles.

9. Default

He probably meant to say its a "humper" and 1/2 off

Quote Originally Posted by Father Ted View Post
    He probably meant to say its a "humper" and 1/2 off
    Is "Humper" a colonial term for a 'Bitsa' ?