Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Dang it , you all caused me to run out of popcorn again.
    Chris

Shooter5 Guest

...from the CMP website - http://www.odcmp.com/Sales/m1917.htm

The M1917 Enfield, "P17 Enfield", "American Enfield", formally named "United States Rifle, cal .30, Model of 1917" was an American modification and production of the British .303 caliber P14 rifle developed and manufactured during the period 1917-1918.

3. Default Earliest M1917 Manual

Quote Originally Posted by usmc69 View Post
    The first 1917 manual: Printed 1918.
    USMC69,

This could be a subject for debate. The green colored manual examples in my photo below pre-date the manual in your photo for their listed origin date. Their origin date is October 8, 1917. It was subsequently revised twice, on January 16, 1918, and May 7, 1918. The examples I have are all the same, and their publication date of May 7, 1918 does follow the brown manual publication date of November 13, 1917 in your photo. However, that manual was actually printed after May 1, 1918, based on the dates listed on the cover.

I need to see if I can find a photo of an earlier edition of the green manual. It may be in one of the 3 published books on the M1917 subject.

David Albert
    dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

Blog Entries

In my book 'Winchester- The Gun that Won the West' the rifle is described as the modified Enfield.
    Last edited by PhillipM; 10-04-2014 at 10:18.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

I understand and appreciate both sides of the discussion. I work in a number of very technical fields. Calling something other than what it is not only can cause confusion, it can cause serious problems.

On the other hand there is the real world where many do not live and breathe technical, a common understood description works just fine. Most people are in that arena, even if their job is a very technical one, the live and breather technical at work and the rest of the world is different. It human and nothing we can do about that.

For the Model of 1917 rifle, you could not have come up with a more twisted pedigree if you tried. Designed in England in one caliber, converted to another, then shipped overseas to be produced in the US and then converted a second time to another caliber. Sheese.

You can imagine that in the Philippines calling the Model of 1917 (Rifle) an Enfield was good shorthand to quickly covey and understand what was being discussed. In context there was no confusion as there were no SMLEs about. Not so good in WWI where there would be at least confusion in cross British and US discussions. Huh, what, are you sure you are talking 30-06, I don't need nor can use 303. Probably not as bad since the Brit forces used SMLE, but training appears to have used P1914s.

I can also see a group of WWI troops talking about the M1917, one is infantry, one is machine gun, one is MP. You have a rifle and a bayonet both called M1917, a machine gun and a pistol, sheese, what's a guy to do?

Local slang and shorthand come to predominate, you sure don't want to say (nor care that’s technically what it is) United State Rifle Model of 1917 30 Caliber.

People in general ID with stories, stores have names not numbers. Mustang, Sherman, Panther (sometimes a number sticks out like an 88 but in general an identify name resonates better with most people other than the ones that are really "in to it"

What it really amounts to is there is no right way or wrong way. There is technically incorrect, but if my brother and I are talking 1917s, we both know it’s the rifles, if it’s the bayonet, then it’s the 1917 bayonet or the pistol (i.e. its never come up with it would be phrased as 1917 revolver. We don't have to worry about the machine gun!

In WWI they had a pamphlet describing the gun and its history and origination. Good move and it put it in context with what they would see overseas. Looks a lot alike, but it ain't the same caliber.

And someone asks me "what is that rifle you are shooting" I tell them it’s a Model of 1917 30-06. If I said 30 caliber they would go huh? Nope, it’s a 30-06 and they know what cartridge it uses. I try to keep it on track as to the most used WWI rifle and a bit of that background.

So, no right or wrong, just do the best you can with the people you are dealing with.
    Last edited by RC20; 10-04-2014 at 10:38.

Blog Entries

In WWI it was Model of 1917. No soldiers were calling anything an M1917, the nomenclature hadn't been invented.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by RC20 View Post
    Calling something other than what it is not only can cause confusion, it can cause serious problems.
    Particularly where the item isn't common. Thus the "Standard Nomenclature Lists" which resulted from WW1.

I can also see a group of WWI troops talking about the M1917, one is infantry, one is machine gun, one is MP. You have a rifle and a bayonet both called M1917, a machine gun and a pistol, sheese, what's a guy to do?
    Stay away from Artillery where the gun, mount, sight, etc., all had a model number. "Model 15 gun on Model 3A mount sporting the Model 13 sight."

Makes the head spin.
    Last edited by 5MadFarmers; 10-04-2014 at 11:40.

HTML Code:
    In WWI it was Model of 1917. No soldiers were calling anything an M1917, the nomenclature hadn't been invented.
    The point is not to contend specifically what anyone called it (we know the range of that) its to discuss how to deal with it and the terms. Its an example of what they could have called it, the confusion and the fact that as noted there is a plethora of 1917 designated equipment.

I of course was no where in the vicinity of the soldiers who served so its a guess as to what terms they used. I seriously doubt they used the full Model of 1917 designation.

I suspect they referred to it in all sorts of ways.

We do know that Sgt York referred to it as "that British rifle". Probably a lot of servicemen who trained in England also referred to it Enfield, P17 etc.

Casual phrasesology if you will supersedes official designation in casual conversation unless its a very formal and technical conversions and even then within the discussion it will get shorted for ease of conversation once everyone is on the same pate. I.e. This is a Meeting of the Model of 1917 standards group.

Often probably simply referred to as my rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by 5MadFarmers View Post
    Particularly where the item isn't common. Thus the "Standard Nomenclature Lists" which resulted from WW1.

Stay away from Artillery where the gun, mount, sight, etc., all had a model number. "Model 15 gun on Model 3A mount sporting the Model 13 sight."

Makes the head spin.
    Yep!

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by RC20 View Post
    We do know that Sgt York referred to it as "that British rifle".
    He referred to the SMLE thusly. His division was due to serve with the Brits. They were issued Brit kit. Orders were changed and they turned it in.
    Last edited by 5MadFarmers; 10-04-2014 at 04:40.