Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New M1a

The seller thought it was a Winchester bolt but I could find no "WRA's" anywhere. Are there any other GI parts that I should look for? Where would the barrel markings be?
    Thanks, for everyone's help.
    Last edited by Devil Dog; 09-13-2014 at 11:51.

Congratulations. I had a nice M1A N.M. back in the late 70's early 80's. Sold it sold it in the late 80's and have regretted selling it every since. That will be my next purchased but, I too, will need to sell or trade an M1. Have you tried the M14 forum at http://m14forum.com/forums.php Sure will get all the answers you need over there. Semper Fi, Joe

Thanks for all the information. Do you remember the feeling when you got your first Garand? I'm having it again.

4. Default

At a Range that I frequent, the owner said that he bought a SA inc M1A and everything was TRW including the barrel, but he no longer had the rifle.
    liberum aeternum

5. Default

Cogratulations. The "golden age" M1A rifles fall below somewhere in the 63,000 serial number range. They are considered "nicer" because, well, they were built with love. The assembly and fit received a lot of hands-on attention that went away as production became more business-like.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil Dog View Post
    Thanks for all the information. Do you remember the feeling when you got your first Garand? I'm having it again.
    I remember the feeling well. I was scared shxxless. PISC 1956 Semper Fi

This one, #47300, just sold on G.B. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=440375223 I considered bidding but was afraid of a bidding war and didn't want to go much higher than the one bid it got. Looked like a real nice rifle.

That M1a looks EXACTLY the same as mine. Adding up the stuff I traded, I probably paid just a little more than the $1500. it sold for. I'm happy so far....though I still haven't fired it yet.

Joe, I went through PI about 8 years after you. I never saw a Garand there. As a 2111, did you work on any M14's?
    Last edited by Devil Dog; 09-17-2014 at 06:00.

The only walnut handguards I ever saw on M-14s were the ones in the Army training films, which were made with very early production rifles. I think they went away rapidly because of charring in full auto (which was expected to be an important use of the M-14, although it proved ineffective) and sustained semiauto fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Griff Murphey View Post
    The only walnut handguards I ever saw on M-14s were the ones in the Army training films, which were made with very early production rifles. I think they went away rapidly because of charring in full auto (which was expected to be an important use of the M-14, although it proved ineffective) and sustained semiauto fire.
    I have read some battle accounts of M1 wood handguards bursting into flame during sustained semi auto fire. They just kept firing.